The Henley MBA for the Music Industry
2-3 years part-time
This MBA programme has been developed in collaboration with an international team of music executives from across the industry. It is built upon the Henley Flexible MBA programme, and enhanced with a bespoke programme of workshops and presentations from leading individuals and companies in the music industry to meet the specific needs of international music professionals.
An industry steering committee together with leading business professionals and Henley Academics have created the content and the environment for this programme.
The Henley MBA for the Music Industry has been designed around the core Henley Flexible MBA. Specially tailored pathways for the music industry have been incorporated into the core modules to enhance learning and have been designed to involve industry and focus on key issues. This ensures that the MBA programme is relevant to this creative, innovative and entrepreneurial business sector by covering areas such as:
- IP Management and copyright development
- Brand sponsorship and value creation in the music industry
- Evaluation and analysis of business models and alternative funding options and their impact on stakeholders
- International policy, regulation and leadership in the music industry
- International business, global strategies and market opportunities.
The programme aims to:
- develop and enhance the skills of future music industry leaders and innovators
- help direct strategic energy and insight, to reflect on business models, decision making and business challenges
- lead music businesses in a way that welcomes and supports responsible leadership; a key trait of the Henley MBA.
The programme is structured to allow you to continue working in full-time employment while studying part time, connecting your learning to current global, international and organisational issues within the business community and the music industry.
Who is this MBA for?
The MBA is intended to appeal to those in all areas of business responsibility across the broader music industry to include: Business managers, industry executives, middle or senior management, owner managers, heads of departments, those responsible for building or leading teams, creative managers, from SMEs to major corporations.
"Creative Dynamics" series.
Events for middle and senior management across the creative industries.
4 July 2013 - Business Opportunities in Branded Content
Chair - Cliff Fluet
Book here for the event
14 October 2013 - Leadership and Strategy in the Digital Economy
Chair: Ted Cohen
Press articles about this programme:
- Music Week House of Commons
- Music & Brand Partnership Report (PDF)
- Daily Telegraph - Specialist MBAs 16 Feb 2013
- Financial Times - The sound of management.
Two payments per stage:
- Stage 1: £4,700 due by 1 August 2013, £4,700, due by 1 March 2014
- Stage 2: £4,115 due by 1 September 2014, £4,115 due by 1 March 2015
- Stage 3: £2,935 due by 1 September 2015, £2,935 due by 1 March 2016
Please ask our Admissions department about other payment options available.
Our MBA by Flexible Learning programme is designed for experienced practicing managers. Most already have 9 years postgraduate work experience. Sharing your experience with fellow programme members enriches your learning.
To join a Henley MBA programme you will need:
- Three year's management experience (PDF-53 KB)
- Good first degree or equivalent professional or international qualification*
- Evidence of competence in English - English language requirements (PDF-66 KB)
- For the Flexible Learning/Executive programmes you must be able to gain access to company data for assignment purposes.
*A good degree or the equivalent professional or international qualification is normally required; However, we welcome applications from candidates with exceptional management experience who may not meet all the formal criteria for admission. If you have a minimum of three years' managerial experience at a senior and strategic level we would be happy to consider an application. Our Admission Panel reviews all non-standard applications for suitability.
The 3 stages of the Henley MBA for the music industry are delivered through a series of 2 or 3-day face-to-face workshops across each of the 3 years of the programme. This schedule is enhanced by individual and group self-study, all of which support progress to your final MBA qualification.
Together they cover business management from every practical and theoretical angle, giving you powerful tools and decision-making techniques for your career.
- Stage 1 - Managing the organisation (incorporating "Engaging self, organisation and community: The Henley MBA Starter Workshop")
- Stage 2 - Making business choices
- Stage 3 - Making a difference
Stage one starts with a residential workshop in the UK, where you join programme members from some of our other international offices. You will be guided and assisted in study and research solutions and start your MBA journey. Networking forms a key part of the initial residential workshop. The workshops comprise nine core subject modules. You have pathways tailored to the music industry in six of the core subjects. In the third stage there are some additional speaker days and workshops. In addition, group and individual study (average 12 to 15 hours a week) is required to support your progress towards an MBA.
The Personal Development module runs through all stages of the Henley MBA and enables you to take control of your learning and career goals, becoming a more effective manager to the benefit of your organisation.
Stages 1 and 2 are structured around three modules per stage, with each module having bespoke pathways, representing 25% of the module. These pathways have been designed to meet the needs of music industry participants.
Stage 3 has two shorter modules and a Management Challenge, which is a research-based consultancy project. Additional supporting workshops, videos and guest speakers will support this important stage.
Programme members apply a range of knowledge and skills to a real business issue or problem and, through analysis, generate relevant and practical solutions or recommendations.
Stage one - You will gain a better understanding of the changing reality of management and leadership in the 21st Century and the role you play as a manager. There are three workshops which cover all the core modules in the first stage AND a compulsory MBA Starter Workshop.
- Managing People and Performance (2 days) + Music Pathway Workshop (1 day)
- Managing Processes, Systems and Projects (2 days) + Music Pathway Workshop (1 days)
- Managing Financial Resources (2 days) and Personal Development + Music Workshop (2 day)
- 10 days in total.
Stage two - You will gain insight and knowledge into the strategic aspects of modern business. There are three workshops, one supporting each core module:
- Strategic and International Business (2 days) + Music Pathway Workshop (2 days)
- Corporate Finance and Governance (2 days) and Personal Development, building career/building competence (1 day) + Music Pathway Workshop (1 day)
- Strategic Marketing (2 days) + Music Pathway Workshop (1 day)
- 11 days in total.
Stage three - You will complete three workshops which cover the core modules and prepare you for the final project:
- Leadership and Change. This workshop includes a one day session on research methods Manager as Investigator (3 days in total) - including main industry guest speaker
- Reputation and Responsibility (2 days) - plus music Workshop on corporate & social responsibility (1 day)
- Management Challenge (2 days)
- 8 days total.
At the end of stage one and two, there are optional one-day workshops which help you prepare for the examinations.
Additional content and opportunities
MBA students will be given the opportunity to attend, work on and be involved in discussions or work opportunities brought to you by industry companies as the programme evolves. Candidates will be notified of such opportunities.
We understand that one of your key motivations for taking the Henley MBA is to develop yourself as an individual.
For those of you who are self-sponsored you are probably rethinking your career direction. So work starts from day one on career planning. It is so vital, we have placed it at the heart of the programme.
Personal development is weaved throughout the MBA which provides an integrated approach to 'careers'. Henleys career service provides a number of workshops to help develop the skills required to promote yourself during and after your MBA, including: networking opportunities, recruitment events and sector specific sessions from industry professionals.
For further information about our career services please see the Career Development Services web pages.