The Henley Centre for Governance, Accountability and Responsible Investment
The Henley Centre for Governance, Accountability & Responsible Investment (GARI) aims to provide a forum for international collaborative research into the broad area of governance with a specific focus on accountability. The GARI Research Centre aims to build on the long tradition of values-oriented corporate governance research at Henley and to continue the long-term success of the former Centre for Board Effectiveness, directed by Professor Bernard Taylor (originally operating within Henley Management College).
Research into corporate governance bridges the accounting and financial management disciplines covering issues such as: the direction and control of listed companies; the governance of public, voluntary and charity sector organisations; the governance and accountability of financial institutions (banks and investment institutions); corporate relationships with institutional investors and with other stakeholder groups; institutional investor engagement and dialogue and responsible investment; broader issues of corporate accountability including sustainability, corporate social responsibility and climate change governance; sustainability reporting and assurance, integrated reporting and climate change accounting.
The following Figure illustrates the main research areas of the Henley Research Centre, GARI.
The GARI Research Centre holds research activities and events throughout the year including:
- An annual GARI conference to be held at Henley Business School
- Regular research staff seminars (organised by GARI and by the Accounting & Financial Management group within the School of Business Informatics, Systems & Accounting (BISA))
- Doctoral Colloquia bring together external and internal doctoral students in specific areas of governance, accountability and responsible investment, with invited faculty
- Collaboration with the British Accounting & Finance Association Special Interest Group on Corporate Governance, collaborative one-day workshops and seminars
- Collaborative research with professional accounting bodies such as ACCA Knowledge Transfer and Practitioner Events
The Centre also intends to organise training events for the corporate and institutional investment communities involving updates on corporate governance developments.
This is open to interested individuals from academia, business and business organisations.
The Henley Centre for Governance, Accountability and Responsible Investment (GARI) sits in the Accounting & Financial Management group within the School of Business Informatics, Systems & Accounting (BISA) at Henley Business School, University of Reading.
Director and founder of GARI – Professor Jill Atkins
Deputy Director – Dr David Ewers, Associate Professor Business, Informatics, Systems and Accounting.
Online registration for the 3rd Annual Conference for Governance, Accountibility and Responsible Investment is now open. To book your place, please follow this link.
For more information please contact Jill Atkins by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +44 (0) 1491 418 781.