Henley Business School is proud to offer in partnership with ENVISIA the Postgraduate Certificate in Board Practice and Directorship (PGCert BPD). Successful completion of the PGCert BPD may give participants the opportunity to progress further and obtain an MA in Board Practice and Directorship.
The PGCert BPD is a post-experience, practice-focused programme that aims to enhance your performance as a board director.
Focusing on governance and strategic oversight as a board-level stewardship responsibility, the programme provides you with the knowledge and skills to support effective judgements in board-level decision-making and promote longer-term resilient governance.
It is delivered by expert academic faculty, with insights from highly experienced board practitioners. It also draws extensively on the top-team governance research conducted at Henley Business School, which covers more than 19,000 boards across 37 countries.
|Programme fee (PGCert)||Programme length (PGCert)|
|€10,000||8 months part time|
Upon successful completion, you will be awarded the PGCert BPD, an internationally recognised qualification from a triple-accredited, global business school.
Participants who successfully complete the PGCert may have the opportunity to progress on to the Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) and Masters (MA) stages:
- The PGDip BPD (Stage 2) is designed to focus on board dynamics and offer mentoring for you as a director
- The MA BPD (Stage 3) is designed to give more specialist sector expertise (private, public and third sectors), including applied research into a real-world board-level governance issue
Henley Business School may launch Stages 2 and 3 following a student’s successful completion of the PGCert BPD, subject to minimum student numbers being reached.
The PGCert BPD and qualifications at Stage 2 and Stage 3 are designed for experienced practising board members (chairs, chief executive officers (CEOs), senior independent directors (SIDs), chief financial officers (CFOs), non-executive directors (NEDs) and company secretaries) from across the private, public and third sectors. The programme may also suit senior managers with directorship potential.
Delivered in Romania, the PGCert BPD is a part-time programme consisting of three two-day workshops combined with self-study. It is expected that participants will be currently employed.
Module 1: Building Board and Director Effectiveness
- Different roles at board level and their responsibilities as part of the board
- Developing awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses and background
- Influencing skills at board level
- How boards can enable strategy design and execution
- The nature of dysfunctional boards and the issues they face
- The importance of succession planning to director effectiveness
- Balancing short-term and longer-term board value
Module 2: Investor Relations, Governance and Innovation
- The board-level impact on processes, decisions, diversity and dynamics, as well as how these outcomes affect sustainability for internal actors, external influences, and organisational change and innovation
- The relationship between boards and investors
- The differences between ownership types and their change implications
- The effectiveness of independent directors
- Key relationships within the organisation (e.g. Chairman-CEO; CEO-Board)
- 'Common good competitiveness' as a more sustainable alternative to profit orientation, short-termism, or shareholder/self-interest
Module 3: Handling Risk at Board Level
- The relationship between risk and uncertainty in relation to business decisions, behavioural economics, cognitive bias, accounting and finance, and handling conflict and crises
- Appetite and tolerance for risk
- The link between risk and internal/external factors
- How boards and board members interpret and report risk
- Gain a postgraduate qualification from an internationally respected Business School, which may lead to the opportunity to progress to the MA
- Learn how to enhance board effectiveness for better organisational performance
- Critically evaluate decision-making and judgements at board level, and understand how informed board decision-making can create long-term competitive advantage
- Engage with leading academic experts and industry practitioners
- Apply rigorous research and frameworks, both to address board-level governance issues and consider your own skills as a director
Only the PGCert BPD is open for applications at this time. For more information, and to apply, please contact ENVISIA: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://envisia.eu/boards-of-elite-certification-programme/.
You will be asked to:
- provide general application details such as your contact information and career history, including your CV
- attach electronic copies of academic transcripts, certificates and other supporting information
- provide information to enable us to email your referees requesting them to send your supporting references directly to us
- complete a proposal that includes a personal development plan.
- A good undergraduate degree (or equivalent)
- Organisational leadership/board experience, or at least three years’ senior management experience with board-level access
- Access to a live board-level governance challenge identified in your proposal
- English language proficiency (IELTS 7.0, with no element below 6.0 – see note below)
Applicants who possess exceptional organisational experience but do not meet the standard academic requirements are welcome to apply and may be considered for entry on to the programme on a case-by-case basis.
Note: If English is not your first language, you may be required to take an IELTS test and achieve an overall score of 7.0 with no less than 6.0 in each element. The University also accepts a number of other tests instead of IELTS. A full list of equivalent tests and scores can be found at www.reading.ac.uk/ad-Englishtests. Alternatively, a completed declaration i.e. the English proficiency at work form (confirming that English is the main language of the business and that you are required to work in English to a high level on a daily basis) from a current employer may also be considered acceptable in lieu of one of the acceptable official tests.
For participants who may require top-up courses for entry on to the programme, there is the potential to run two modules (subject to demand):
- Finance for Board Directors (two-day programme)
- Basic Governance for Directors (two-day programme)
Programme Director Dr Nadeem Khan lectures in governance, policy and leadership at Henley Business School. He completed his PhD research at Henley in the field of strategy and strategic behaviour of the firm. He gained professional experience in the UK and international multinational environments prior to running his own business.
Other teaching staff include: