Advanced Personal Leadership Programme
£7,395 + VAT (including residential costs)
Module 1: 5.5 days
Module 2: 1 day
A unique leadership programme that can act as a significant turning point in a participant’s career, as a catalyst for change of mindset and performance.
• Become a more confident leader with conviction in your own leadership style and behaviours
• Explore the dynamics of high-performance teams and organisations and understand how to create them
• Appreciate the differences between management and leadership.
See yourself as others see you
Leaders require the ability to build relationships at all levels, to motivate and provide direction. To be successful as a leader it is vital that you understand how you are perceived, and appreciate the impact your leadership style has on others.
Who is the Advanced Personal Leadership Programme for?
- Senior leaders of people, teams, projects and organisations
- Ambitious managers who aspire to senior leadership
- Entrepreneurs building their businesses
How is the Advanced Personal Leadership different to other leadership programmes?
• It consists almost entirely of leadership challenges
Leadership can't be learned effectively in a classroom from slides and books. Learning on this programme is through experiencing leadership and real leadership challenges, a format that really makes an impact. Practical concepts and frameworks will be introduced when they are relevant. You will give and receive direct, constructive feedback on your behaviour and interactions; leading to profound conversations and personal change.
It is a challenging opportunity to see yourself as others see you, and in a safe and supportive space.
• We start with the person and their leadership personality, not textbook theory
We focus on the individual. You’ll explore various leadership styles that might work for you. This isn’t a programme about presenting leadership theories and asking participants to draw their own conclusions – it’s personalised by design; each participant is their own case study.
• Practical application is everything
This programme is a long way from hands-on, team building style courses. And we don’t just stop at self-discovery. Changes in mindset and deep personal understanding feed, via coaching, into a clear and agile action plan for professional success.
• Building high performance teams and organisations
Leadership is increasingly about developing teams and the culture of the organisation; working in teams on the programme and reviewing your leadership approach, you will develop your ability to do both.
How we know this programme works?
Because programme participants consistently tell us it does.
Massive impact on me personally. Probably the best week I have spent in my career. David Barnes, Marketing Director, Zebra Technologies
Although it was intense, everything was tied to our own individual personal leadership challenges and goals, making the practical benefits real and immediate, so unlike the abstract and counter-productive, build-a-raft learning I’d suffered in the past! Dominic Smart, FutureLeader
It’s a career and life defining experience. Stephen Armstrong, Director of Operations, McDonalds
From the very first minute I realised that this was different! This was teaching by experience – the best kind of learning. And while I expected there to be case studies, I soon realised that I was the case study. We all were! Dr Marc Mangold, Director of Marketing, Value Retail Germany
• Completion of 360 leadership questionnaire
• Identification of development objectives
Module 1: 5.5 days
• Review 360 questionnaire outcomes
• Work in groups, tackling real leadership challenges and the dilemmas that arise. You will explore leadership approaches, observe how others behave and how they react to you and your leadership style.
Face issues including:
- Power and influence
- Group dynamics and politics
- Courage and resilience
- Stakeholder expectations; building consensus, influencing upwards.
• 1:1 coaching session with programme tutor
• Culminates in an individual action plan.
Module 2: 1 day
(6 to 8 weeks after module 1)
• We use Action Learning Groups to review progress against plans
• 1:1 coaching session with programme tutor
• Ongoing coaching can be provided by Henley if required (fee applies).
• Access resources from the online learning portal for up to 12 months
• Henley alumni status and access to Henley events.
It’s an extremely personal and practical programme because your own actions and reflections form much of the programme content, with the remainder being a development structure that promotes easy, immediate application back into the workplace.
- Gain an improved ability to recognise, diagnose and manage challenging and sensitive issues within teams and your organisation
- Understand how best to inspire and motivate the team or organisation you lead
- Witness the impact of different leadership approaches and reactions
- Be part of a network of leaders from diverse backgrounds who will continue to share ideas and solutions after the programme.
What difference can this programme make to our business?
- More confident leaders who have the mindset to step up to new challenges and responsibility
- Self-aware, bold and skilled leaders with excellent communication skills and a renewed sense of purpose
- Executives with a working knowledge of behaviour and how it continually impacts individuals, teams and productive workplace cultures.
Location and facilities
We pride ourselves on understanding the need to create an environment which is both relaxing and comfortable enabling work and study to be focused and effective. From our unique riverside location to our impressive amenities, we provide an ideal environment for meeting success.
How to find us (PDF-1.15 MB)
Balancing busy work schedules with relaxation and exercise is an important aspect of our approach at Henley. The fully equipped and professionally staffed Fitness Centre with views overlooking the beautiful grounds and River Thames has everything needed to restore a sense of well being.
At our Greenlands site we provide a variety of meeting rooms and conference facilities. Our rooms have been designed with an emphasis on practicality with many of our rooms benefiting from the latest presentation equipment to ensure that your meeting runs smoothly.
The conference rooms at Greenlands, Henley, all feature air conditioning, natural daylight and excellent acoustics, as well as state-of-the-art AV and presentation technology controlled by bluetooth touch screens, free WiFi access, laptop connections, networked PC and large screens. Our larger rooms also have repeater screens. Each conference room has access to dedicated syndicate and break-out rooms and refreshment areas close by. Stationery, flipcharts, photocopying facilities and whiteboards are included as standard.
All syndicate and meeting rooms at Henley are fitted with a large screen, networked PC, whiteboards and have free WiFi access and laptop connections. River House 1-14 are also fitted with Copycam, allowing users to capture whiteboard notes at the touch of a button. Digital recorders, video and stills cameras are also available on request. All are laid out boardroom style.
We have 100 rooms including some with disabled facilities. All rooms are en-suite & include a safe, trouser press, laptop connection with free Wi-Fi access, direct dial telephone, satellite TV with radio, Molton Brown toiletries, tea & coffee making facilities and a hair dryer. Photograph of Thames Court accommodation.
Full English breakfast is served in our main dining room, which overlooks the River Thames. Our dedicated staff maintain the facility 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All guest rooms receive daily housekeeping services.
When it comes to dining, we offer you choice, quality and flexibility. We understand that you also want facilities that are conducive to networking, and dining arrangements that integrate seamlessly with the other aspects of your day. Henley is renowned for both its excellent standards of service and the high quality of cuisine. The chefs and their professional staff are able to offer the sophistication of a memorable evening dinner in the spacious dining room, with its views over the lawns down to the Thames.
Fresh, varied breakfasts are prepared by award-winning chefs and served each morning in the beautiful, riverside restaurant - the Heyworth Room.
Several tea and coffee areas are situated throughout the buildings, the Garden Common Room is situated beside the Heyworth Room and is open throughout the day and evening offering a wide range of Fairtrade drinks and a selection of biscuits. The bar is open each evening serving a full range of drinks.
Henley Conference Centre and Hotel
Set in its own 30 acre estate in the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside, alongside the River Thames, this magnificent Grade II Listed Building offers excellent conference, meeting and event facilities and provides a spectacular setting for any gathering. For more information about booking our beautiful facilities please visit the Henley Conferences website.
History of Greenlands
Records indicate that there has been a house on our Greenlands site for 500 years, although the house would have originally been much closer to the river.
Greenlands has been home to a series of notable families and individuals throughout its lifetime. These include Thomas Chaucer, son of Geoffrey Chaucer; Robert D'Oyley, Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1573; Bulstrode Whitelock, Oliver Cromwell's Ambassador to Sweden and most recently WH Smith, who bought the existing house in 1871. Queen Elizabeth I is also known to have visited on more than one occasion, most likely when staying at her royal palace in Reading.
The site became the home of a new Administrative Staff College in 1946, first welcoming students in 1948. In 1952, after the unexpected death of Viscount Hambleden from whom the College leased the site, an opportunity to purchase Greenlands' 30 acres arose. The College was renamed Henley Management College in 1991, and following the 2008 merger with the University of Reading became Henley Business School. Today, the world-ranked Henley MBA, The Henley DBA and our executive education programmes are delivered at Greenlands.
Points of view
- Learning to lead
- The complete leader? What you need to know
- What makes the Advanced Personal Leadership programme so different?
- 'Make yourself uncomfortable'- article by Kate Hudson, Programme Director
- What make a great leader? You need 5 Q's. By Professor Andrew Kakabadse
- Do you worry that you're about to be found out? If so, you're not alone...
Offers & Discounts
- 10% reduction on programme fee for Henley alumni
- 10% reduction on the programme fee for members of The Henley Partnership
For more information please contact email@example.com
When booking multiple open programmes which are paid for upfront, the following discount structure may apply. Please enquire to discuss eligibility.
- 2-4 people = 10% reduction
- 5-9 people = 15% reduction
- 10+ people = 20% reduction
A 50% discount is available to employees of UK registered charities - please note that the discount is applied at Henley Business School's discretion; to confirm eligibility please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Only one discount can apply.
One-day HR Masterclasses do not qualify for this multiple bookings fee reduction.
The Henley Experience
Helping you become exceptional is at the heart of everything we do. The Henley Experience is highly practical, collaborative and academically rigorous. We develop confident leaders and professionals who are able to take a fresh perspective and have the energy, capability and resilience to ensure that they and their organisations are successful.
THE HENLEY EXPERIENCE:
- Rigour & relevance
The Henley Experience is much more than a set of principles. It is ingrained in our spirit and fundamental to our purpose and heritage, characterising the way we can help you to deliver exceptional performance.
We engage with you at the deepest level, fostering a shared spirit of curiosity, exploration, investigation and learning. We collaborate with you in order to challenge assumptions and mindsets, and get to the heart of the real business issues you face.
By creating a safe environment that promotes self-reflection, you are able to ask yourself those crucial questions that allow you to learn more about what informs your strategic business decisions and actions.
We work closely with you to diagnose your strategic individual and organisational aims. We then identify programmes that are best aligned to these goals, or we can co-evolve a learning design specifically aimed at achieving these strategic outcomes.
RIGOUR & RELEVANCE
We draw on world-class research and originate leading-edge thinking – but theory remains theory unless it is applied to real-world business. All of our programmes are delivered by experienced faculty who integrate academic rigour with commercial application. What you learn translates into business results.
Our customers rely on our long history and global reputation for successful executive development. These strengths underlie our responsible and collaborative way of working with you to co-create the very best executive learning experiences and commercial outcomes.
At Henley we know we cannot just be exceptional – we are here to help you become exceptional.