Organisational Development Masterclass
Building OD capability: Strategy and execution
Organisational development (OD) can be used as a proactive, continuous approach to facilitate better business performance. It can create a culture shift, reducing staff turnover and making an organisation more productive - for short term performance improvement and long term capability development. Despite this many organisations are not currently utilising an integrated OD approach, and HR professionals and others working with OD often struggle to articulate exactly what OD is and the value it offers.
Through theory, practical examples and discussion this 1-day masterclass will cover:
- What OD is and isn’t (with context)
- Linking strategy and execution - with a focus on tools, tactics and tips for driving value
- How OD is approached in other organisations and how to use it effectively in your own organisation
- How to drive and communicate the benefits of OD within your organisation.
You will learn how to define and position the contribution of OD in your organisation and articulate this in the workplace, building your own credibility.
This OD masterclass gives you not only the knowledge and skills needed but also the understanding and confidence to use this, with traction, back in your organisation.
The Henley HR masterclass difference
Our four HR masterclasses are all delivered with a focus on organisational context; participants are encouraged to consider and discuss their own challenges. With each topic we look at the relevant technical information alongside the soft skills needed, ensuring participants have the confidence and credibility to use their knowledge effectively back in the workplace.
Henley HR masterclasses:
- Are designed and delivered by a programme director who is an experienced senior HR professional and a skilled facilitator, and who has undertaken research into the HR discipline
- Have immediate practical takeaways such as an action plan aligned with personal learning objectives
- Ensure a setting with greater empathy – Henley faculty understand the increasing complexity of the HR role
- Provide peer-networking and a relevant support network to take away.
Who is the Organisational Development Masterclass for?
This masterclass is designed for HR directors, HR business partners, OD partners and other leaders and professionals charged with setting up or delivering organisational development capability through their function or role.
What is organisational development?
- Is it an HR discipline? What is its scope?
- Ways of looking at and talking about OD which are appropriate to your business.
Key skills needed to be an OD practitioner
- Assessing the Big 4 essential personal attributes - Change Tinkerer, Systems Thinker, Business Translator and Self-Balancer
- Other skills required
- Model how capable your HR function and individuals are to deliver OD.
OD and business partnering
- The role of the OD practitioner (versus other HR roles)
- Reviewing typical OD accountabilities
- Building credibility
- Personal and organisational challenges. Is your organisation ready for an OD partner?
Useful systems and models
- A systems thinking perspective
- The concept of an organisational strategy and OD plans
- Tools and approaches to help you work with and add value to the business.
- Ability to position and communicate the contribution of OD to your business in a simple, commercial yet innovative way
- Understand what is needed to deliver OD successfully, at individual and functional levels, and to support functional and individual development plans
- Gain a realistic view of the challenges
- Real-life case studies and examples bring the application of OD to life; take away tools to be able to apply these lessons to your organisation.
For your organisation
- Develops a broader, integrated perspective on the organisational capability needed to deliver the business strategy
- Helps those involved in OD balance (and communicate) long and short term benefits, and deliver change in shorter timescales
- Ensures the business has the tools to diagnose, measure and track productivity improvements.
See the Henley HR masterclasses brochure for more learning points and outcomes.
Location and facilities
We pride ourselves on understanding the need to create an environment which is both relaxing and comfortable enabling work and study to be focused and effective. From our unique riverside location to our impressive amenities, we provide an ideal environment for meeting success.
How to find us (PDF-1.15 MB)
Balancing busy work schedules with relaxation and exercise is an important aspect of our approach at Henley. The fully equipped and professionally staffed Fitness Centre with views overlooking the beautiful grounds and River Thames has everything needed to restore a sense of well being.
At our Greenlands site we provide a variety of meeting rooms and conference facilities. Our rooms have been designed with an emphasis on practicality with many of our rooms benefiting from the latest presentation equipment to ensure that your meeting runs smoothly.
The conference rooms at Greenlands, Henley, all feature air conditioning, natural daylight and excellent acoustics, as well as state-of-the-art AV and presentation technology controlled by bluetooth touch screens, free WiFi access, laptop connections, networked PC and large screens. Our larger rooms also have repeater screens. Each conference room has access to dedicated syndicate and break-out rooms and refreshment areas close by. Stationery, flipcharts, photocopying facilities and whiteboards are included as standard.
All syndicate and meeting rooms at Henley are fitted with a large screen, networked PC, whiteboards and have free WiFi access and laptop connections. River House 1-14 are also fitted with Copycam, allowing users to capture whiteboard notes at the touch of a button. Digital recorders, video and stills cameras are also available on request. All are laid out boardroom style.
We have 100 rooms including some with disabled facilities. All rooms are en-suite & include a safe, trouser press, laptop connection with free Wi-Fi access, direct dial telephone, satellite TV with radio, Molton Brown toiletries, tea & coffee making facilities and a hair dryer. Photograph of Thames Court accommodation.
Full English breakfast is served in our main dining room, which overlooks the River Thames. Our dedicated staff maintain the facility 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All guest rooms receive daily housekeeping services.
When it comes to dining, we offer you choice, quality and flexibility. We understand that you also want facilities that are conducive to networking, and dining arrangements that integrate seamlessly with the other aspects of your day. Henley is renowned for both its excellent standards of service and the high quality of cuisine. The chefs and their professional staff are able to offer the sophistication of a memorable evening dinner in the spacious dining room, with its views over the lawns down to the Thames.
Fresh, varied breakfasts are prepared by award-winning chefs and served each morning in the beautiful, riverside restaurant - the Heyworth Room.
Several tea and coffee areas are situated throughout the buildings, the Garden Common Room is situated beside the Heyworth Room and is open throughout the day and evening offering a wide range of Fairtrade drinks and a selection of biscuits. The bar is open each evening serving a full range of drinks.
Henley Conference Centre and Hotel
Set in its own 30 acre estate in the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside, alongside the River Thames, this magnificent Grade II Listed Building offers excellent conference, meeting and event facilities and provides a spectacular setting for any gathering. For more information about booking our beautiful facilities please visit the Henley Conferences website.
History of Greenlands
Records indicate that there has been a house on our Greenlands site for 500 years, although the house would have originally been much closer to the river.
Greenlands has been home to a series of notable families and individuals throughout its lifetime. These include Thomas Chaucer, son of Geoffrey Chaucer; Robert D'Oyley, Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1573; Bulstrode Whitelock, Oliver Cromwell's Ambassador to Sweden and most recently WH Smith, who bought the existing house in 1871. Queen Elizabeth I is also known to have visited on more than one occasion, most likely when staying at her royal palace in Reading.
The site became the home of a new Administrative Staff College in 1946, first welcoming students in 1948. In 1952, after the unexpected death of Viscount Hambleden from whom the College leased the site, an opportunity to purchase Greenlands' 30 acres arose. The College was renamed Henley Management College in 1991, and following the 2008 merger with the University of Reading became Henley Business School. Today, the world-ranked Henley MBA, The Henley DBA and our executive education programmes are delivered at Greenlands.
Points of view
Offers & Discounts
A discount is available if all four 1-day strategic HR masterclasses are booked together - £3,100 + VAT
- 10% discount on programme fee for Henley alumni
- 10% reduction on the programme fee for members of The Henley Partnership
For more information please contact email@example.com
A 50% discount is available to employees of registered charities - please note that the discount is applied at Henley Business School's discretion and to confirm eligibility please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Only one discount can apply.
The Henley Experience
Helping you become exceptional is at the heart of everything we do. The Henley Experience is highly practical, collaborative and academically rigorous. We develop confident leaders and professionals who are able to take a fresh perspective and have the energy, capability and resilience to ensure that they and their organisations are successful.
THE HENLEY EXPERIENCE:
- Rigour & relevance
The Henley Experience is much more than a set of principles. It is ingrained in our spirit and fundamental to our purpose and heritage, characterising the way we can help you to deliver exceptional performance.
We engage with you at the deepest level, fostering a shared spirit of curiosity, exploration, investigation and learning. We collaborate with you in order to challenge assumptions and mindsets, and get to the heart of the real business issues you face.
By creating a safe environment that promotes self-reflection, you are able to ask yourself those crucial questions that allow you to learn more about what informs your strategic business decisions and actions.
We work closely with you to diagnose your strategic individual and organisational aims. We then identify programmes that are best aligned to these goals, or we can co-evolve a learning design specifically aimed at achieving these strategic outcomes.
RIGOUR & RELEVANCE
We draw on world-class research and originate leading-edge thinking – but theory remains theory unless it is applied to real-world business. All of our programmes are delivered by experienced faculty who integrate academic rigour with commercial application. What you learn translates into business results.
Our customers rely on our long history and global reputation for successful executive development. These strengths underlie our responsible and collaborative way of working with you to co-create the very best executive learning experiences and commercial outcomes.
At Henley we know we cannot just be exceptional – we are here to help you become exceptional.