Programme fees (VAT exempt)
- Henley MA Leadership: £17,900
- Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership (Stages 1 & 2 only): £12,900
- Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership (Stage 1 only): £6,200
Applicants for the full MA Leadership can opt to breakdown their fee payments into three instalments:
- Stage 1: £5,700
- Stage 2: £6,200
- Stage 3: £6,000
Programme length: 21 months
Master the art of exceptional leadership
Discover and become the leader you’ve always aspired to be. Become a leader who is analytical, self-knowing, with a strong sense of responsibility; someone who understands how to make people thrive, and who has the confidence to take the organisation forward.
With the Henley MA Leadership you study towards a masters qualification from a triple accredited business school whilst simultaneously developing leadership skills of immediate practical advantage to your current role and career.
The Henley MA Leadership is:
- a part-time masters programme that fits with your working commitments: 1 and 2-day workshops at Henley combined with work at home
- designed for anyone currently in a leadership role, or in a managerial role with significant leadership responsibilities.
An academic programme developed in collaboration with business
In developing this masters we collaborated significantly with leaders from large and small corporates, the public sector, government departments and social enterprises. Their insights, around current leadership and leadership development challenges, inform the programme content and delivery style.
This MA is designed to have immediate practical impact to both participants and their organisations, for example there is scope in assignments to align with work challenges. Henley MA Leadership participants generally stay in their full time professional role whilst studying, applying new insights immediately back to their team and organisation.
You can choose to commit to the full MA Leadership from the start or apply to complete one stage at a time. At the stage you decide to complete your studies you will earn an internationally recognised qualification from a triple-accredited, global business school.
What qualification can I earn?
The award you achieve will depend on which stages you complete.
- Stage 1 – Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership
- Stage 2 – Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership
- Stage 3 – MA Leadership
Putting leadership knowledge into action
We draw on Henley’s reputation for a pragmatic approach to management development – MA Leadership workshops are highly interactive, delivered through a combination of peer group learning, work-based practice, networking and reflection.
You will consider ethical, responsible and purposeful leadership across the programme, and have an opportunity to select from electives such as:
- complexity and change
- mobilising and maintaining energy
- Coaching and mentoring.
Who is the Henley MA Leadership for?
Those currently leading organisations, teams, people and projects.
- Three years’ management experience
- A good undergraduate degree or equivalent professional qualification
We also welcome applications from candidates with exceptional management experience (5+ years) who may not meet the formal academic criteria.
Programme structure and content
Stage 1 – Postgraduate Certificate (Developing Yourself as a Leader)
Stage 2 – Postgraduate Diploma (Developing Leadership of the Team)
Stage 3 – MA (Developing Leadership in the Organisation)
Most modules are compulsory; Stage 1 and Stage 2 include one module with an elective choice, giving you the opportunity for deeper study of topics relevant to you.
We currently offer the following elective module options:
- Leadership of complexity and change
- Project and programme leadership
- Mobilising and maintaining organisational energy
- Coaching and mentoring for leaders
- Facilitation for leaders
- Neuroscience of leadership coaching
- Digital technology leadership
- Assessment of prior experiential learning*
The options offered for electives may vary and will be updated as required.
Credit for prior learning
Candidates who have completed a Henley qualification programme within the last 5 years may be eligible for an elective exemption.
Please see Credit for prior learning for more information
*Prior experiential learning: If you have previously attended other Henley Business School leadership development programmes, or equivalent, you may choose the Assessment of prior experiential learning elective in Stage 1.
Please see Credit for prior learning for more information
- Earn a postgraduate qualification from a triple-accredited global business school without taking a career break
- Access resources from our online learning portal including books and journals
- Work with faculty who have practical experience of current organisational working practice and challenges
- Alumni status: Ongoing networking and development through your Henley Business School and University of Reading alumni status.
For the organisation
- Your executive will develop as they study; they will be increasingly informed, motivated and capable of inspiring teams and managing business challenges
- Henley faculty and the peer study group, that your executive is part of, will provide reflections on strategies used outside of your specific industry
- The dissertation completed as part of the Henley MA Leadership: participants choose the focus of this piece of work which could be used to examine a current organisational challenge.
How to apply
The quickest and easiest way to apply for postgraduate study is through our online application service. Click on 'Book Now' on this screen.
You will be asked to:
- provide general application details such as your contact information and career history, including CV
- attach electronic copies of academic transcripts, certificates and other supporting information
- provide information to enable us to email your referees requesting them to send your supporting references directly to us.
Location and facilities
We pride ourselves on understanding the need to create an environment which is both relaxing and comfortable enabling work and study to be focused and effective. From our unique riverside location to our impressive amenities, we provide an ideal environment for meeting success.
How to find us (PDF-1.15 MB)
Balancing busy work schedules with relaxation and exercise is an important aspect of our approach at Henley. The fully equipped and professionally staffed Fitness Centre with views overlooking the beautiful grounds and River Thames has everything needed to restore a sense of well being.
At our Greenlands site we provide a variety of meeting rooms and conference facilities. Our rooms have been designed with an emphasis on practicality with many of our rooms benefiting from the latest presentation equipment to ensure that your meeting runs smoothly.
The conference rooms at Greenlands, Henley, all feature air conditioning, natural daylight and excellent acoustics, as well as state-of-the-art AV and presentation technology controlled by bluetooth touch screens, free WiFi access, laptop connections, networked PC and large screens. Our larger rooms also have repeater screens. Each conference room has access to dedicated syndicate and break-out rooms and refreshment areas close by. Stationery, flipcharts, photocopying facilities and whiteboards are included as standard.
All syndicate and meeting rooms at Henley are fitted with a large screen, networked PC, whiteboards and have free WiFi access and laptop connections. River House 1-14 are also fitted with Copycam, allowing users to capture whiteboard notes at the touch of a button. Digital recorders, video and stills cameras are also available on request. All are laid out boardroom style.
We have 100 rooms including some with disabled facilities. All rooms are en-suite & include a safe, trouser press, laptop connection with free Wi-Fi access, direct dial telephone, satellite TV with radio, Molton Brown toiletries, tea & coffee making facilities and a hair dryer. Photograph of Thames Court accommodation.
Full English breakfast is served in our main dining room, which overlooks the River Thames. Our dedicated staff maintain the facility 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All guest rooms receive daily housekeeping services.
When it comes to dining, we offer you choice, quality and flexibility. We understand that you also want facilities that are conducive to networking, and dining arrangements that integrate seamlessly with the other aspects of your day. Henley is renowned for both its excellent standards of service and the high quality of cuisine. The chefs and their professional staff are able to offer the sophistication of a memorable evening dinner in the spacious dining room, with its views over the lawns down to the Thames.
Fresh, varied breakfasts are prepared by award-winning chefs and served each morning in the beautiful, riverside restaurant - the Heyworth Room.
Several tea and coffee areas are situated throughout the buildings, the Garden Common Room is situated beside the Heyworth Room and is open throughout the day and evening offering a wide range of Fairtrade drinks and a selection of biscuits. The bar is open each evening serving a full range of drinks.
Henley Conference Centre and Hotel
Set in its own 30 acre estate in the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside, alongside the River Thames, this magnificent Grade II Listed Building offers excellent conference, meeting and event facilities and provides a spectacular setting for any gathering. For more information about booking our beautiful facilities please visit the Henley Conferences website.
History of Greenlands
Records indicate that there has been a house on our Greenlands site for 500 years, although the house would have originally been much closer to the river.
Greenlands has been home to a series of notable families and individuals throughout its lifetime. These include Thomas Chaucer, son of Geoffrey Chaucer; Robert D'Oyley, Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1573; Bulstrode Whitelock, Oliver Cromwell's Ambassador to Sweden and most recently WH Smith, who bought the existing house in 1871. Queen Elizabeth I is also known to have visited on more than one occasion, most likely when staying at her royal palace in Reading.
The site became the home of a new Administrative Staff College in 1946, first welcoming students in 1948. In 1952, after the unexpected death of Viscount Hambleden from whom the College leased the site, an opportunity to purchase Greenlands' 30 acres arose. The College was renamed Henley Management College in 1991, and following the 2008 merger with the University of Reading became Henley Business School. Today, the world-ranked Henley MBA, The Henley DBA and our executive education programmes are delivered at Greenlands.
“Henley provides the perfect location for reflective and applied learning and the staff have been very supportive of my goals” Jamie Dormandy, Head of Customer Service and Support, RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)
“The MA in Leadership has inspired my thinking, challenged my assumptions, given me invaluable opportunities to network with people in different sectors and access to first class tutors….Whether you’re an aspiring or an experienced leader, you will find this course very beneficial – I cannot recommend it too highly.” Josephine Marchant MBA, Strategic Business Leader, Meadowfield School, Kent
“I have found the MA Leadership a transformative experience. It has led me to question every aspect of my leadership approach for the better… I have no doubt that our business results have improved since I started, and as a consequence of, the course.” Richard Nall, Founder, The Brand Garden
Points of view
- Leadership in Times of Uncertainty
- The Quest for the Holy Grail of Leadership Development
- The complete leader? What you need to know
- Does your leadership create the right kind of energy and ignite top performance?
- The innovative leader- article discussing why innovation is a key skill for today's most effective leaders
- 'Is leadership everyone's job?' Initial findings by Dr Bernd Vogel & Dr Ana Graca from Henley centre for Engaging Leadership
- What makes a great leader? You need 5 Q's. By Professor Andrew Kakabadse
- Do you worry that you're about to be found out? If so, you're not alone...
- Resilience- is it just being able to bounce back?
- From engaging with the complexity of leadership to transformative leadership development
Offers & Discounts
- 10% discount on programme fee for Henley alumni
- 10% reduction on the programme fee for members of The Henley Partnership
A 50% discount is available to employees of registered charities - please note that the discount is applied at Henley Business School's discretion and to confirm eligibility please contact email@example.com
Please note: Only one discount can apply
Postgraduate fees 2018-19
Full MA in Leadership: £17,900.00
If choosing to apply stage by stage, please refer to the fees below:
- Stage 1: Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership - £5,700.00
- Stage 2: Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership - £6,200.00
- Stage 3: MA in Leadership - £6,000.00
Application by stage:
Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership: £6,200 (stage 1 only)
Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership: £12,900 (stages 1 & 2 only)
Credit for prior learning
Those who have successfully completed the Henley Professional Certificate in Coaching, Facilitation or Change Management, (each 30 credits at level 7) or those that have completed Leadership & Change module on Henley MBA (10 credits), within the last 5 years, will be given exemption from the Module Elective at Stage 1.
Requests for exemptions are only considered at the time of application to join the programme.
When granted, applicants will not need to submit the individual assignment for that subject.
If you have previously attended other Henley Business School leadership development programmes, or equivalent, you can choose the Assessment of Prior Experiential Learning elective in Stage One. You are required to produce a 3,000 word written summary of your prior experiences for assessment, to be submitted before the deadline for the Stage 1 elective.
The 10% alumni fee reduction will be made for these applicants.
There are a number of funding options, such as bank loans, available from external sources.
Loans of up to £10,000 are available to eligible students studying for postgraduate Master's courses from the 2018/19 academic year. In general, students need to be domiciled in England. EU students, and individuals falling within certain specified categories, may also be eligible.
You can apply for a loan through the UK Government website. You can read more about this scheme on the Student Loans Company website or on these two UK Government sites: Introduction of loans for postgraduate students and Government response to the Consultation on Support for Postgraduate Study.
UK and EU students
Entry requirements section:
MA Leadership - Entry Requirements
- Three year's management experience
- A good degree or the equivalent professional or international qualification is normally required; however we do welcome applications from candidates with exceptional management experience who may not meet all the formal criteria for admission. If you have a minimum of 5 years’ experience at a senior or strategic level with no degree, we would be happy to consider an application. Our Admission Panel reviews all non-standard applications for suitability.
- Evidence of competence in English - English language requirements
The Henley Experience
Helping you become exceptional is at the heart of everything we do. The Henley Experience is highly practical, collaborative and academically rigorous. We develop confident leaders and professionals who are able to take a fresh perspective and have the energy, capability and resilience to ensure that they and their organisations are successful.
THE HENLEY EXPERIENCE:
- Rigour & relevance
The Henley Experience is much more than a set of principles. It is ingrained in our spirit and fundamental to our purpose and heritage, characterising the way we can help you to deliver exceptional performance.
We engage with you at the deepest level, fostering a shared spirit of curiosity, exploration, investigation and learning. We collaborate with you in order to challenge assumptions and mindsets, and get to the heart of the real business issues you face.
By creating a safe environment that promotes self-reflection, you are able to ask yourself those crucial questions that allow you to learn more about what informs your strategic business decisions and actions.
We work closely with you to diagnose your strategic individual and organisational aims. We then identify programmes that are best aligned to these goals, or we can co-evolve a learning design specifically aimed at achieving these strategic outcomes.
RIGOUR & RELEVANCE
We draw on world-class research and originate leading-edge thinking – but theory remains theory unless it is applied to real-world business. All of our programmes are delivered by experienced faculty who integrate academic rigour with commercial application. What you learn translates into business results.
Our customers rely on our long history and global reputation for successful executive development. These strengths underlie our responsible and collaborative way of working with you to co-create the very best executive learning experiences and commercial outcomes.
At Henley we know we cannot just be exceptional – we are here to help you become exceptional.