Strategic Workforce Planning Masterclass
Programme fee: £875 + VAT*
A discount is applied if all four 1-day strategic HR masterclasses are booked together - £3,100 + VAT
*Please note from 1 September 2019 price will rise to £1,175 + VAT and £4,300 + VAT if all four 1-day masterclasses are booked together
Programme length: 1 day
SWP: Understanding the workforce talent and skills needed to deliver on the business strategy
Henley recognises that effective strategic workforce planning (SWP) is much more than a data collection exercise. SWP is a strategic mind-set, responding to a business-driven need for HR departments and senior leadership to work together for organisational change.
But despite the business-critical nature of SWP, many organisations are not utilising it fully, and many HR departments do not have the necessary skills to lead in this area.
This 1-day, workshop-style masterclass sets out the key elements of effective strategic workforce planning and how you can create a step change in the value you add, including:
- Moving from an operational to a strategic focus - create and communicate thoughtful proactive strategies to support the business
- Understanding context and application - Henley recognises that SWP is not about applying software or systems; it’s about a resourcing approach that aligns with business objectives and fully engages with senior leadership
- Gaining knowledge, confidence and gravitas to work effectively in this increasingly important space.
The Henley HR masterclass difference
Our four HR masterclasses are all delivered with a focus on organisational context; participants are encouraged to consider and discuss their own challenges. With each topic we look at the relevant technical information alongside the soft skills needed, ensuring participants have the confidence and credibility to use their knowledge effectively back in the workplace.
Henley HR masterclasses:
- Are designed and delivered by a programme director who is an experienced senior HR professional and a skilled facilitator, and who has undertaken research into the HR discipline
- Have immediate practical takeaways such as an action plan aligned with personal learning objectives
- Ensure a setting with greater empathy – Henley faculty understand the increasing complexity of the HR role
- Provide peer-networking and a relevant support network to take away.
Who is the Strategic Workforce Planning masterclass for?
- All HR managers and senior HR professionals
- Business leaders trying to understand how to better articulate the "how to" of strategy to key stakeholder groups, and what people actions need to be addressed
- Partners involved in supplying against this need - Resourcing, Talent and succession, L&D and HR business partners (either at ‘Head of’ or practitioner level)
- Those tasked with business planning, budgeting or organisational development objectives.
- What SWP is and what it isn’t
- Approaches and frameworks
- Practise SWP approaches including a case-study based exercise.
You will look at topics including:
- Critiquing what your business strategy means in practice for your people and organisation
- Identifying the people and organisational risks critical to strategy delivery, aligning HR people processes and putting in place pro-active strategies to mitigate these risks
- How SWP translates to operational realities like hiring, promoting, retaining, rewarding and developing people
- Balancing a proactive approach to recruitment and development with the reality that the people needs are often not clear, or that the businesses objectives are not yet specific
- The skills and tools you and your department need to work together more strategically and add value in context of the talent, development and recruitment functions.
- Best practice theory input
- Group discussions
- Work through a case study and practise understanding of the theory in context.
- Evolve your perspective on this topic and how to approach it proactively and effectively
- Demystify what SWP is generally, and what it is within the context of your organisation
- Determine what’s hard and what’s easy within SWP
- Move from an operational to a strategic focus
- Understand how to have better discussions with your business customers and support partners
- Develop confidence and credibility to apply your thinking in your organisation, communicate strategies and drive change and value.
For your organisation
HR executives will have the capability to provide a leading strategic role supporting the business using evidence-based plans. This will be a proactive approach that is aligned and cost effective (rather than reacting to business needs which is often a slow and costly process creating challenges for the teams involved.)
See the Henley HR masterclasses brochure for more learning points and outcomes.
Location and facilities
We pride ourselves on understanding the need to create an environment which is both relaxing and comfortable enabling work and study to be focused and effective. From our unique riverside location to our impressive amenities, we provide an ideal environment for meeting success.
How to find us (PDF-1.15 MB)
Balancing busy work schedules with relaxation and exercise is an important aspect of our approach at Henley. The fully equipped and professionally staffed Fitness Centre with views overlooking the beautiful grounds and River Thames has everything needed to restore a sense of well being.
At our Greenlands site we provide a variety of meeting rooms and conference facilities. Our rooms have been designed with an emphasis on practicality with many of our rooms benefiting from the latest presentation equipment to ensure that your meeting runs smoothly.
The conference rooms at Greenlands, Henley, all feature air conditioning, natural daylight and excellent acoustics, as well as state-of-the-art AV and presentation technology controlled by bluetooth touch screens, free WiFi access, laptop connections, networked PC and large screens. Our larger rooms also have repeater screens. Each conference room has access to dedicated syndicate and break-out rooms and refreshment areas close by. Stationery, flipcharts, photocopying facilities and whiteboards are included as standard.
All syndicate and meeting rooms at Henley are fitted with a large screen, networked PC, whiteboards and have free WiFi access and laptop connections. River House 1-14 are also fitted with Copycam, allowing users to capture whiteboard notes at the touch of a button. Digital recorders, video and stills cameras are also available on request. All are laid out boardroom style.
We have 100 rooms including some with disabled facilities. All rooms are en-suite & include a safe, trouser press, laptop connection with free Wi-Fi access, direct dial telephone, satellite TV with radio, Molton Brown toiletries, tea & coffee making facilities and a hair dryer. Photograph of Thames Court accommodation.
Full English breakfast is served in our main dining room, which overlooks the River Thames. Our dedicated staff maintain the facility 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All guest rooms receive daily housekeeping services.
When it comes to dining, we offer you choice, quality and flexibility. We understand that you also want facilities that are conducive to networking, and dining arrangements that integrate seamlessly with the other aspects of your day. Henley is renowned for both its excellent standards of service and the high quality of cuisine. The chefs and their professional staff are able to offer the sophistication of a memorable evening dinner in the spacious dining room, with its views over the lawns down to the Thames.
Fresh, varied breakfasts are prepared by award-winning chefs and served each morning in the beautiful, riverside restaurant - the Heyworth Room.
Several tea and coffee areas are situated throughout the buildings, the Garden Common Room is situated beside the Heyworth Room and is open throughout the day and evening offering a wide range of Fairtrade drinks and a selection of biscuits. The bar is open each evening serving a full range of drinks.
Henley Conference Centre and Hotel
Set in its own 30 acre estate in the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside, alongside the River Thames, this magnificent Grade II Listed Building offers excellent conference, meeting and event facilities and provides a spectacular setting for any gathering. For more information about booking our beautiful facilities please visit the Henley Conferences website.
History of Greenlands
Records indicate that there has been a house on our Greenlands site for 500 years, although the house would have originally been much closer to the river.
Greenlands has been home to a series of notable families and individuals throughout its lifetime. These include Thomas Chaucer, son of Geoffrey Chaucer; Robert D'Oyley, Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1573; Bulstrode Whitelock, Oliver Cromwell's Ambassador to Sweden and most recently WH Smith, who bought the existing house in 1871. Queen Elizabeth I is also known to have visited on more than one occasion, most likely when staying at her royal palace in Reading.
The site became the home of a new Administrative Staff College in 1946, first welcoming students in 1948. In 1952, after the unexpected death of Viscount Hambleden from whom the College leased the site, an opportunity to purchase Greenlands' 30 acres arose. The College was renamed Henley Management College in 1991, and following the 2008 merger with the University of Reading became Henley Business School. Today, the world-ranked Henley MBA, The Henley DBA and our executive education programmes are delivered at Greenlands.
Points of view
Offers & Discounts
A discount is available if all four 1-day strategic HR masterclasses are booked together - £3,100 + VAT
- 10% discount on programme fee for Henley alumni
- 10% reduction on the programme fee for members of The Henley Partnership
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A 50% discount is available to employees of registered charities - please note that the discount is applied at Henley Business School's discretion and to confirm eligibility please contact email@example.com
Please note: Only one discount can apply.
The Henley Experience
Helping you become exceptional is at the heart of everything we do. The Henley Experience is highly practical, collaborative and academically rigorous. We develop confident leaders and professionals who are able to take a fresh perspective and have the energy, capability and resilience to ensure that they and their organisations are successful.
THE HENLEY EXPERIENCE:
- Rigour & relevance
The Henley Experience is much more than a set of principles. It is ingrained in our spirit and fundamental to our purpose and heritage, characterising the way we can help you to deliver exceptional performance.
We engage with you at the deepest level, fostering a shared spirit of curiosity, exploration, investigation and learning. We collaborate with you in order to challenge assumptions and mindsets, and get to the heart of the real business issues you face.
By creating a safe environment that promotes self-reflection, you are able to ask yourself those crucial questions that allow you to learn more about what informs your strategic business decisions and actions.
We work closely with you to diagnose your strategic individual and organisational aims. We then identify programmes that are best aligned to these goals, or we can co-evolve a learning design specifically aimed at achieving these strategic outcomes.
RIGOUR & RELEVANCE
We draw on world-class research and originate leading-edge thinking – but theory remains theory unless it is applied to real-world business. All of our programmes are delivered by experienced faculty who integrate academic rigour with commercial application. What you learn translates into business results.
Our customers rely on our long history and global reputation for successful executive development. These strengths underlie our responsible and collaborative way of working with you to co-create the very best executive learning experiences and commercial outcomes.
At Henley we know we cannot just be exceptional – we are here to help you become exceptional.