Celebrating 10 years with the University of Reading
3 August 2018
A decade since the merger
This week marks a significant milestone for Henley Business School and the University of Reading as we celebrate 10 years together. The merger of Henley Management College with the University of Reading on 1 August 2008 brought together two prestigious institutions, which allowed us to create a large, vibrant and global Business School which now offers everything from undergraduate degrees through to MBAs and Executive Education.
As a business school, we empower people to become successful professionals and outstanding business leaders by providing an excellent learning experience. Combining our resources with those of the University created an elite business school with strengths and capabilities to meet this ambition, to have a positive impact on society, and rise to the challenges of the constantly changing business world.
Together, we have staff, students and alumni from across the world – at Henley alone we have 75,000 alumni in over 150 countries and have delivered training and consultancy on a global scale. Our South Africa campus goes from strength to strength, welcoming a record number of participants to its campus.
Over the decades, we have become innovators and pioneers, pushing academic boundaries and leading social change. Highlights from recent years include:
- The University receiving the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher Education in 2009 and 2012. In 2012, Henley hosted the Diamond Jubilee Garden Party attended by Her Majesty the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
- Henley now holds triple accreditation with AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB, successfully passing through multiple audits.
- The Flying Start Accounting and Business Programme launched in collaboration with PwC in 2012.
- The opening of the University of Reading’s campus in Malaysia in 2016 at which a high proportion of participants are taking part in Henley degrees.
- The Real Estate and Planning Department celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, from its beginnings as a University Department to an integral part of Henley’s offering, and the ICMA Centre has celebrated over 25 years delivering excellence in finance.
- Innovations in Executive Education including jointly launching the Army Higher Education Pathway for Army Officers to study for MSc and BSc degrees in Leadership and Strategic Studies and becoming one of the first business schools to offer Apprenticeship Levy programmes funded by business and government.
- Henley has grown exponentially over the last decade and now has 150 faculty and over 7,000 students from 140 countries.
Professor John Board, Dean of Henley Business School, comments:
“We are all very proud to be part of a great Business School that now plays an important role in the University of Reading. That we have achieved so much is entirely down to the huge efforts and enthusiasm of all involved both in 2008 and since.”
As well as looking back, we are very much looking forward, to the future. These past few years have seen dramatic developments in the educational, political, economic, social and technological environments. From Brexit to the rise of the robots, significant changes are happening and, as educational, management and leadership experts, we have a duty to add to the debate and support students and organisations in dealing with the complex environment and creating a sustainable future.
Click here to download a digital copy of ‘Henley’, a magazine published by Henley Business School on the anniversary of the merger, containing features, thought leadership and research-based articles.