Professor Anupam Nanda
Professor of Urban Economics and Real Estate
Professor Anupam Nanda
|Academic Director, Centre for Intelligent Places|
|Director, MSc Real Estate Finance|
|Real Estate & Planning|
|HBS 217, Whiteknights campus|
|+44 (0) 118 378 6339|
Anupam Nanda is Professor of Urban Economics and Real Estate, Academic Director of the Centre for intelligent Places and Director of the MSc Real Estate Finance programme at the Henley Business School, University of Reading, UK. He is also a Research Associate at the Walker Institute for Climate System Research. Previously, Anupam worked with the Market Intelligence group of Deloitte & Touche in Mumbai (Apr. 2008-Nov. 2009), where his focus area covered real estate and private equity sectors. He was at the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) in Washington DC (Apr. 2006-Apr. 2008), as Senior Research Economist, where his responsibilities included developing and implementing housing market research studies and was a member of the team forecasting state and metro area housing markets in US. Anupam has also taught undergraduate Economics and Public Finance at the University of Connecticut. His works have been funded by both UK and international public and private funding bodies and companies, for example, e.g. Innovate UK, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, UK Dept of Energy and Climate Change, The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Investment Property Forum (IPF), Real Estate Research Institute (RERI) in USA. His academic papers have been published by top international journals e.g. Energy Policy, Energy Economics, Journal of Urban Economics, Regional Studies, Real Estate Economics, Applied Linguistics, Journal of Real Estate Research etc.
Coming soon, Nanda, A. Residential Real Estate: A Comprehensive International Overview, Routledge. ISBN-13: 978-1138898301; ISBN-10: 1138898309
- PhD in Economics, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA (2006).
- BSc (Honours) in Economics, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata, India.
- FRSA - Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
- FRGS - Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society with IBG.
- FHEA - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK.
- Royal Economic Society.
- American Econonomic Association.
- American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
- Urban Economics Association.
Dynamic Interactions and Information Asymmetry across Urban and Regional Markets; Economics of Place-Making; Housing Market Dynamics; Economic and Econometric Analysis of Regulation, Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility within Urban and Regional Contexts;
Post-Doctoral Research Assistants and PhDs
Dr Cynthia Gong, PDRA. Behavioural Economics/intelligent Care and Urban Living.
Dr Jia-Huey Yeh (PhD completed 2015) “Regional House Price Dynamics in Taiwan”; Assistant Professor, Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics, PR China. (first supervisor)
Dr Dimitra Kavarnou (PhD completed 2015) “The Housing Markets of the Greek Islands”; Senior Research Associate, University of Cambridge, UK. (first supervisor)
Dr Linning Zhu (PhD completed 2016) "House Price Dynamics in Contemporary Urban China"; (second supervisor)
Steffen Heinig - Topic area: Real Estate Sentiment. (first supervisor)
Fangchen Zhang – Topic area: Real Estate Investment. (first supervisor)
Olayiwola O. Oladiran - Topic area: Housing Outcomes and Demographics. (first supervisor)
Shuai Shi – Topic area: World City Regions in China. (second supervisor)
Current Major Funded Projects
intelligent Care and Urban Living (Personalised Urban Living Solutions - PULS);
Economic Impact of Dubai Metro;
- "Does Real Estate Defy Gravity? An Analysis of Cross-Border Real Estate Investment Flows" (McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) Forthcoming at Review of International Economics. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/roie.12228/abstract
- "Do Laws Influence the Cost of Real Estate Brokerage Services? A State Fixed Effects Approach" (Nanda, A., Clapp, J., Pancak, K.) Forthcoming at Real Estate Economics. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1540-6229.12124/abstract
- “Which Factors Determine Transaction Activity Across US Metropolitan Office Markets?” (Devaney, S., McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) Forthcoming at Journal of Portfolio Management.
- "Doing Well by Talking Good: A Topic Modelling-assisted Discourse Study of Corporate Social Responsibility" (Jaworska, S., Nanda, A.) Forthcoming at Applied Linguistics. http://applij.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/06/03/applin.amw014.abstract
- “Do Foreign Buyers Compress Office Real Estate Cap Rates?” (McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) Forthcoming at Journal of Real Estate Research. Annual Nick Tyrrell Research Prize Winner for "Best Paper in Real Estate Investment, 2015". http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/papers/abstract/forth/accepted/jrer_259(f150310R2).html A practitioner version published as: "Do Foreign Buyers Compress Office Real Estate Cap Rates?" (McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) Investment Property Focus. The Journal of the Investment Property Forum, 29, Winter 2015, 2-6.
- “Which Factors Drive Rental Depreciation Rates for Office and Industrial Properties?” (Crosby, N., Devaney, S., Nanda, A.) Forthcoming at Journal of Real Estate Research. http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/papers/abstract/forth/accepted/jrer_250(f140902R2).html
- "Institutional Convergence in Real Estate Markets: a Comparative Study of Brokerage Models and Transaction Costs" (Devaney, S., Livingstone, N., McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) Forthcoming at Journal of Real Estate Literature.
- "Energy Performance Ratings and House Prices in Wales: An Empirical Study" 2016 (Fuerst, F., McAllister, P., Nanda, A., Wyatt, P.) Energy Policy 92, May, 20–33 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421516300258
- “International Transmission Mechanisms and Contagion in Housing Markets” (Nanda, A., Yeh, J.) World Economy 39(7) 1005–1024. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/twec.12288/abstract
- “Information Content and Forecasting Ability of Sentiment Indicators: Case of Real Estate Market” 2016 (Marcato, G., Nanda, A.) Journal of Real Estate Research. 38(2) http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/papers/abstract/forth/accepted/jrer_231(f130303R3).html
- “Reflected Glory vs. Repulsive Envy: What Do the Smiths Feel About the House of the Joneses?” (Nanda, A., Yeh, J.) Asian Economic Journal. 30(3) 317–341. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/asej.12095/full
- "Which Factors Determine Liquidity Across US Metropolitan Office Markets?" 2016 (Devaney, S., McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) published by Real Estate Research Institute (RERI), USA. http://www.reri.org/research/article_pdf/2015_Devaney-McAllister-Nanda.pdf
- "Unravelling Liquidity In International Commercial Real Estate Markets" 2016 (Devaney, S., Livingstone, N., McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) published by Investment Property Forum (IPF). http://www.ipf.org.uk/resourceLibrary/unravelling-liquidity-in-international-commercial-real-estate-markets--march-2016--summary-report.html
- “Does energy efficiency matter to home-buyers? An investigation of EPC ratings and transaction prices in England” 2015 (Fuerst, F., McAllister, P., Nanda, A., Wyatt, P.) Energy Economics 48(March): 145–156. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140988314003296
- "Does Foreign Investment Affect US Office Real Estate Prices?" 2015 (McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) Journal of Portfolio Management. 41(6): 38-47. http://www.iijournals.com/doi/abs/10.3905/jpm.2015.41.6.038
- "Big Social Data and Political Sentiment: the Tweet Stream during the UK General Election 2015 Campaign" 2015 (Di Fatta, G., Reade, J.J., Jaworska, S., Nanda, A.) Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Social Computing and Networking (SocialCom 2015).
- “The Persistence of Distance: A Gravity Model of European Cross-Border Real Estate Development Flows” 2015. (Sherrin, C., McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, 20(2) 147 -169. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/10.1108/JFMPC-10-2014-0020
- “Shared Ownership and Affordable Housing: a political solution in search of a planning justification?” 2015 (Nanda, A., Parker, G.) Planning Practice and Research, 30(1): 101–113. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02697459.2015.1008801#abstract
- “House Price Dynamics in Panama City” 2015 (D. Kavarnou, Nanda, A.), Journal of Real Estate Literature. 23(2) 315-334. http://aresjournals.org/doi/abs/10.5555/0927-75184.108.40.2065
- “The Impact of Cross-border Real Estate Investment on Commercial Real Estate Capitalisation Rates” 2015 (McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) published by Real Estate Research Institute (RERI), USA. http://www.reri.org/research/files/2014funded_McAllister-Nanda.docx
- “Does Infrastructure Investment Stimulate Building Supply? Case of the English regions”. 2014. (Ball, M., Nanda, A.). Regional Studies. 48(3): 425-438. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00343404.2013.766321
- “Do Responsible Real Estate Companies Outperform Their Peers?” 2014. (Cajias, M., Fuerst, F., McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) International Journal of Strategic Property Management. 18(1): 11-27. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3846/1648715X.2013.866601; Also a report published by The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- “Which Attributes Influence the Housing Markets across the Greek Islands?” 2014 (D. Kavarnou, Nanda, A.), Journal of Real Estate Literature. 22(2). 233-260. http://aresjournals.org/doi/abs/10.5555/reli.22.2.w884t143122u2601
- “Spatio-Temporal Diffusion of Residential Land Prices across Taipei Regions” 2014 (Nanda, A., Yeh, J.) SpringerPlus 3:505. doi:10.1186/2193-1801-3-505. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4174549/
- “Do Foreign Buyers Compress Office Real Estate Cap Rates?” 2014 (McAllister, P., Nanda, A.) published by DTZ Research Institute.
- “Spatio-Temporal Diffusion of US Metropolitan House Prices” 2014 (Nanda, A., Yeh, J.) Conference proceedings, Regional Studies Association, Winter conference, 2014. ISBN: 978-1-897721-49-0; 140-149.
- “Shared Ownership: Easy Wins but Hard Lessons?” 2013. (Nanda, A., Parker, G.). Town & Country Planning. 82(4): 178-182.
- “Household Attributes and the Future Demand for Retirement Housing”. 2013. (Ball, M., Nanda, A.). International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis. 6(1): 45 – 62. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/17538271311306002
- “What Causes Commercial Properties to Depreciate?” 2013. (Crosby, N., Devaney, S., Nanda, A.), IP Real Estate, 22 November. http://realestate.ipe.com/what-causes-commercial-properties-to-depreciate/59358.fullarticle
- “Modelling Causes of Rental Depreciation for UK Office and Industrial Properties”. 2013. (Crosby, N., Devaney, S., Nanda, A.). published by Investment Property Forum (IPF). https://www.ipf.org.uk/home/research/research_archive/default.aspx
- “An investigation of the effect of EPC ratings on house prices”. 2013. (Fuerst, F., McAllister, P., Nanda, A., Wyatt, P.). published by Department of Energy & Climate Change, UK Government Agency. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/an-investigation-of-the-effect-of-epc-ratings-on-house-prices
- “Sectoral and Spatial Spillover Effects of Infrastructure Investment: A Case Study of Bengaluru, India”. 2013. (Nanda, A., Tiwari, P.). published by The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). http://www.isurv.com/site/scripts/download_info.aspx?fileID=5213
- “The Impact of Property Condition Disclosure Laws on Housing Prices: Evidence from an Event Study Using Propensity Scores”. 2012. (Nanda, A., Ross, S.). The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 45(1): 88-109. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11146-009-9206-y
- "Housing Markets and Independence in Old Age: Expanding the Opportunities”. 2011. (Ball, M, Blanchette, R., Nanda, A., Wyatt, P., Yeh, J.). http://www.mccarthyandstone.co.uk/documents/research%20and%20policy/oorh%20full%20report%20may%202011.pdf
- “Real Estate Brokers’ Duties to Their Clients: Why Some States Mandate Minimum Service Requirements”. 2010. (Nanda, A., Pancak, K.). Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research. 12(2): 105-126. US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), PD&R. https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodicals/cityscpe/vol12num2/ch6.pdf
- “Property Condition Disclosure Law: Why Did States Mandate ‘Seller Tell All’?” 2008. (Nanda, A.). The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 37(2): 131-146. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11146-007-9057-3
- “Which School Attributes Matter? The Influence of School District Performance and Demographic Composition on Property Values”. 2008. (Clapp, J., Nanda, A., Ross, S.) Journal of Urban Economics, 63(2): 451-466. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0094119007000344
- “Examining the NAHB/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index (HMI)”. 2007. (Nanda, A.). Housing Economics. National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), Washington DC.