I am visiting faculty at the University of Reading, Henley Business School where I teach, grade and supervise MBA and MSc students in reputation and responsibility, coaching and behavioural change and strategy. I also run my own company focusing on research and executive training in the field of sustainable development and stakeholder engagement. Previously I worked at Chief Executive level for 15 years in the not-for-profit sector, business and public sectors.
My major academic interests are in corporate responsibility, reputation, ethics and values, social capital and corporate governance. I gained my PhD from Reading University and an MBA from Henley Management College and have other Post Graduate qualifications in research methodology, law and consultancy. My PhD thesis is entitled: “Giving community stakeholders a voice in Stakeholder Theory: Corporate responsibility interventions in rural India”.
Other current appointments include: Executive Director for the Arkleton Trust; Chairman for the Streatley Parish Council in Berkshire; Founder and Chairman of the International Rural Network (IRN) an interdisciplinary comparative research network, Chairman of the Heart of Streatley Parish Council, and member of the International ethics review panel for Academic conferences and Publishing.
- Swan N. 2011 Researching sustainable development of the rural poor in India. The Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods Vol 9, Iss 2, pp185 - 194
- Swan N. 2007 What Can Commercial Companies Learn About CSR in Communities From Social Entrepreneurs in India. International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability http://ijs.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.41/prod.342
- Remenyi D., Swan N., and Van Den Assen B. (2011) Ethics protocols and research ethics committees. Academic Publishing International. Reading.
- Swan N. (2008) Ed. Local Agenda 21 in Belarus: From Theory to Implementation 1999-2006 Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Minsk
- Swan N (2013) CSR lessons from India: Learning from social entrepreneurs. IN Westover J. H (2013) Socially responsible and sustainable business around the globe: The new age of corporate social responsibility. Common Ground Publishing. Champaign Illinois.
- Swan N. 2011 Case Study Research Following an Interpretivist Paradigm in a Developing Country. In the proceedings of the 10th European conference on research methodology for business and management. Caen, France. 21-22 June
- Swan N. and Long T. 2011 Ethics in a developing country context. IN the proceedings of the 10th European conference on research methodology for business and management. Caen, France. 21-22 June
- Swan N 2011 Researching sustainable development of the rural poor in India. IN the proceedings of the 10th European conference on research methodology for business and management. Caen, France. 21-22 June
- Swan N. 2007 How to create different capitals through sustainable development. IN proceedings of the First Republican Scientific-Practical Conference “Sustainable Development of Territories. Local Agenda 21 in Belarus” Minsk
- Swan N. 2006 Foreign experiences of sustainable rural development: Nuclear and other disasters worldwide – Recovery through partnerships and strategic planning. IN proceedings of the Chernobyl Region Conference, Mogilov Belarus April 12
- Swan N. 2006 Entrepreneurial management in rural areas: Trends towards sustainability – a UK perspective. IN Proceedings of the Institute of Highest Officials of the Presidential Academy Conference, Minsk, Belarus March 29