Adrian Palmer is Professor of Marketing and Head of the Department of Marketing and Reputation. His first career in travel and tourism marketing and management informed his subsequent academic career. Since joining academia, he has researched and published extensively on the subject of services buyer behaviour. His book “Principles of Services Marketing”, now in its seventh edition, and recently translated into Chinese, is widely used throughout the world to provide a grounding in the challenges and opportunities of marketing services. Recent research has been published in Journal of Marketing Management, European Journal of Marketing and Harvard Business Review. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing and has experience of teaching executive programmes in Europe and Asia.
Professor Adrian Palmer
Head of Marketing & Reputation
Adrian Palmer’s research focuses on buyer behaviour within service sector industries and in particular the importance to companies of developing customer loyalty and ongoing relationships. As well as developing theory, he has always sought to make the outcomes of research relevant to business practice.
Specific ongoing streams of research, many involving doctoral students and international collaborators include:
- The effects of engagement in service consumption on customer satisfaction and loyalty
- Implicit and explicit attitudes and their differential effects on behaviour
- The link between anticipation of service consumption and subsequent satisfaction
He is Associate Editor of Journal of Marketing Management and a reviewer for many academic Marketing journals.
Selected Recent Journal Articles
- Koenig-Lewis, N., Asaad, Y. and Palmer, A., Football as a social event: effects on satisfaction, team identification and recommendation, European Sports Management Journal – forthcoming 2018
- Divakaran P, Palmer A, Sondergaard HA, Matkovskyy R. 2017. Pre-launch Prediction of Market Performance for Short Lifecycle Products Using Online Community Data. Journal of Interactive Marketing, vol. 38, 12-28. doi> link>
- Xu-Priour, D. L., Cliquet, G., & Palmer, A. (2017). The Influence of Buyers’ Time Orientation on Online Shopping Behavior: A Typology. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 21(3), 299-333.
- Palmer A and Bejou D. 2016. Retrospective: service failure and loyalty: an exploratory empirical study of airline customers. JOURNAL OF SERVICES MARKETING, vol. 30(5), 480-484. link> doi>
- Palmer A, Koenig-Lewis N, Asaad Y. 2016. Brand identification in higher education: A conditional process analysis. JOURNAL OF BUSINESS RESEARCH, vol. 69(8), 3033-3040. link> doi>
- Huo Q and Palmer A. 2015. Analysing voluntary contribution to online forums using a proposed critical mass contribution model. Journal of Applied Business Research, vol. 31(2). doi>
- Koenig-Lewis N, Marquet M, Palmer A, Lifen Zhao A. 2015. Enjoyment and social influence: predicting mobile payment adoption. The Service Industries Journal, vol. 35(10), 537-554. doi>
- Koenig-Lewis N, Asaad Y, Palmer A, Petersone E. 2015. The effects of passage of time on alumni recall of 'student experience'. Higher Education Quarterly, vol. 70(1), 59-80. doi>
- Blumrodt J and Palmer A. 2014. On-Line Destination Branding: An Investigation into the divergence between brand goals and on-line implementation. Journal of Applied Business Research, vol. 30(6). doi>
- Organ K, Koenig-Lewis N, Palmer A, Probert J. 2014. Festivals as agents for behaviour change: A study of food festival engagement and subsequent food choices. Tourism Management, vol. 48, 84-99. doi>
- Koenig-Lewis N, Palmer A, Dermody J, Urbye A. 2014. Consumers' evaluations of ecological packaging - Rational and emotional approaches. Journal of Environmental Psychology, vol. 37, 94-105. doi> link>
- Palmer A. 2014. Services empower customers. Harvard Business Review.
- Ackermann CL and Palmer A. 2014. The contribution of implicit cognition to the theory of reasoned action model: a study of food preferences. Journal of Marketing Management, vol. 30(5-6), 529-550. doi>
- Koenig-Lewis N and Palmer A. 2014. The effects of anticipatory emotions on service satisfaction and behavioral intention. Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 28(6), 437-451. doi>
- Palmer A. 2014. Co-creation – the untapped resource of customers in China’s emerging service economy. Tsinghua Business Review, vol. 6, 60-68.
- Kozub KR, O'Neill MA, Palmer A. 2014. Emotional antecedents and outcomes of service recovery: An exploratory study in the luxury hotel industry. Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 28(3), 233-243. doi>
- Palmer A and Huo Q. 2013. A study of trust over time within a social network mediated environment. Journal of Marketing Management, vol. 29(15-16), 1816-1833. doi>
- Palmer A, Koenig-Lewis N, Medi Jones LE. 2013. The effects of residents' social identity and involvement on their advocacy of incoming tourism. Tourism Managment, vol. 38, 142-151. doi>
- Blumrodt J and Palmer A. 2013. Webpage design and quality of seaside tourism destinations: A question of collaboration. International Business Research, vol. 6(9). doi>
- Palmer A and Koenig-Lewis N. 2011. The effects of pre-enrolment emotions and peer group interactions on students' satisfaction. Journal of Marketing Management, vol. 27(11-12), 1208-1231. doi>
- Palmer A and Koenig-Lewis N. 2010. Primary and secondary effects of emotions on behavioural intention of theatre clients. Journal of Marketing Management, vol. 26(13-14), 1201-1217. doi>
- Koenig-Lewis N and Palmer A. 2010. Experiential values over time - a comparison of measures of satisfaction and emotion. Journal of Marketing Management, vol. 24(1-2), 69-85. doi>
- Koenig-Lewis N, Palmer A, Moll A. 2010. Predicting young consumers' take up of mobile banking services. International Journal of Bank Marketing, vol. 28(5). doi>
- Palmer, A. “Principios de Marketing de Servicios”, McGraw-Hill/ Editorial Trillas, Mexico, forthcoming
- Palmer, A. "Principles of Services Marketing", 7th edition, McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead, 2014, ISBN 978-0077152345, pp 554
- 外文书名：Principles of Services Marketing, Chinese edition, Beijing, McGraw Hill / World Books, ＩＳＢＮ：9787510039355
- Palmer, A. "Introduction to Marketing", 3rd edn, Oxford University Press, 2012, ISBN 0199602131, pp 576
- Palmer, A. and Hartley, B., The Business Environment, 7th edition, McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead, 2011, ISBN 9780077130015 576pp
- Palmer, A. Intraducao au Marketing, Oxford University Press, Sao Paulo, 2006
- Bejou, D. and Palmer, A., (eds), The Future of Relationship Marketing, New York, Best Business Books, 2006, 128pp, ISBN- 13-978-0-7890-3167-7