Irene is a Fellow of the HEA and Programme Director BSc Business and Management (Marketing).
Irene is the module convenor and lecturer for 'New Directions in Business and Corporate Social Responsibility' (UG), ‘Marketing for a better, sustainable world’ (PG) and ‘Corporate Responsibility’ (MBA). She is also part of the teaching team for the Reputation and Responsibility module (MBA), delivering workshops and facilitating study trips nationally and internationally. Irene also supervises PhD students and UG and MSc dissertations.
She is also part of the teaching team for the Reputation and Responsibility module (MBA), delivering workshops and facilitating study trips nationally and internationally. Irene also supervises PhD students and UG and MSc dissertations.
Current PhD students:
- Christos Michael. Research Topic: Exploring the consumer-company relationship after negative publicity.
- Samuel Lawal. Research Topic: A multi-stakeholder approach to stakeholder communication: exploring the role of multi-stakeholder communication on stakeholders’ attitudes and behavioural intentions.
- Tim Groves. Research Topic: Developing Models of Leadership and Decision-Making for the Social Sector.
- Sarah Quinn. Research Topic: Measuring Impact and Reputation within the Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) Sector.
- Randa Diab. Research Topic: Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and its impact on consumer attitudes and behaviour - a study of private sector companies in Kuwait.
Irene’s research interests include sustainable behaviour, pro-social behaviour, CSR and social marketing and she is involved in several research projects in these areas. She is currently part of a six-country consortium working on an EIT Food project focused on increasing levels of trust in the food chain among consumers. She is also part of a UK-wide team exploring youth social action, in partnership with national and local governments and non-for-profit organisations. Irene has presented her work at well-known management (AOM, BAM), sociology (ESA) and psychology (ICAP) conferences and at more specific events such as those organised by SCORAI (focused on sustainable consumption) and ESMA/WSM (focused on social marketing). She also co-chaired the 10th International Corporate Identity/Associations Research Group Conference (CIARG) and co-chaired the ‘Sustainability and Social Innovation in a Time of Climate Emergency’ stream at the International Social Innovation Research Conference (ISIRC) 2020.
She completed a PhD in Management at Henley Business School, exploring the interplay between identity expression and motivational drives in sustainable living. She also holds a MSc in Sociology (University of Aberdeen) and a BSc in Marketing and Market Research (University of Leon, Spain).
Henley faculty authors:Dr Irene Garnelo-Gomez
Henley faculty authors:Dr Irene Garnelo-Gomez - Dr Anastasiya Saraeva
Henley faculty authors:Dr Irene Garnelo-Gomez
Marketing for a Better, Sustainable World
Social and environmental issues and challenges have led to the growth of marketing tools being applied with a sustainable purpose. As a result, organisations and governments are gradually starting to...
New Directions in Business and Corporate Social Responsibility
There is growing recognition of the role business and market-based solutions can play in tackling complex ‘wicked’ global sustainable development challenges, including reducing poverty, protecting vulnerable ecosystems, and facing up...
Most recent news & media
- Garnelo-Gomez, I. & Saraeva, A. (2019) Yes, we can! Encouraging responsible management through effective CSR communication. In: Farache, F., Grigore, G., Stancu, A. and McQueen, D. (eds.) Responsible People: The Role of the Individual in CSR, Entrepreneurship and Management Education. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, Switzerland, pp. 115-134.
- 13th International Social Innovation Research Conference, September 2021, Milan & online
- 20th International Congress on Public and Nonprofit Marketing (IAPNM), June 2021, online
- Keynote speaker at the 19th International Congress on Public and Nonprofit Marketing (IAPNM), July 2020, online
- 79th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (AOM), August 2019, Boston (USA)
- 6th World Social Marketing Conference (WSMC), June 2019, Edinburgh (UK)
- 4th European Social Marketing Conference (ESMC), September 2018, Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2nd International Conference of the Sustainable Consumption Research and Action Initiative (SCORAI), June 2016, Orono, Maine (USA)
- 29th Annual Conference of the British Academy of Management (BAM), September 2015, Portsmouth (UK)
- 12th European Sociological Association (ESA) Conference, August 2015, Prague (Czech Republic)
- 2nd International Marketing Conference, University of Edinburgh Business School, December 2014, Edinburgh (UK)
- 28th International Congress of Applied Psychology (ICAP), July 2014, Paris (France)
- Sustainable Behaviour
- Pro-Social Behaviour
- Social Marketing