Neal joins REP as a Visiting Fellow looking at housing and land markets, with a focus on data and market activity.
Neal founded Residential Analysts in January 2017 and in March 2019 launched BuiltPlace, a housing market research resource and network for some of the UK’s leading independent built environment analysts and researchers.
Residential Analysts provides data-led research, analysis, and reporting on all aspects of the UK housing market. From housing policy to development consultancy, from demographic modelling to market forecasting, the core aim of Residential Analysts is to build a better understanding of the latest market developments and long-term trends shaping the UK housing market.
Neal previously worked for Savills in its residential research team for 11 years. In 2014 he was seconded to Legal & General where he worked on the Lyons Housing Review. He also worked for IBM in their Pervasive and Mobile Solutions team prior to studying physics at Imperial College London.
Neal produces most of the content on BuiltPlace including Instant Info responses to any new data releases, Weekly Summaries of housing news and data, monthly Market Commentaries, frequent Digging Deeper reports and slide decks, and the Housing Conversations YouTube series. Alongside this, he also undertakes consultancy projects. Recent projects include:
• BBC Briefing on Housing: providing expert advice to a team of journalists and researchers on a project to help direct the BBC’s approach to housing.
• Local Government Association Understanding Local Housing Markets: a report to provide local authorities with advice and guidance on how to best understand the complexities within their local housing markets to inform their decision making.
• Sky News Line 18: award winning research looking at how the crisis in housing varies across the UK and how there are a range of different and sometimes overlapping housing crises.
• Council of Mortgage Lenders Missing Movers: a report looking at the long-term decline in housing market transactions and the broken housing ladder.
• Shelter: report analysing the four previous housing market downturns and lessons for the future.
Publications and Reports
• Regularly quoted in Financial Times, The Economist, The Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian and the i newspapers.
• Appearances on BBC Newsnight, BBC News, Sky News, and ITV Tonight.
• Chapters for the annual Housing Market Intelligence report published by Home Builders Federation in partnership with NHBC.
• Book chapter titled “The Housing Crisis in Eleven Graphs” in “Home Economics”, published by the British Pavilion, Venice Architecture Biennale.
• Book chapter titled “How a greater focus on ‘last time buyers’ and meeting the housing needs of older people can help solve the housing crisis” in “Towards a new age: The future of the UK welfare state” published by The International Longevity Centre with co-authors Michael Lyons and Caroline Green.
• Blog with Kate Barker for Resolution Foundation on “Will building more homes help to reduce housing costs?”.
• Opinion piece for the Financial Times on “High house prices paint a partial picture of UK real estate”.