Areas of academic interest
Land and property taxation, real estate investment and appraisal
Tina holds a BSc in Land Economy & Valuation Surveying and two postgraduate degrees – a MSc in Land Management and another in Real Estate and Property Management. Tina’s doctoral research investigates the compliance-evasion phenomenon in Jamaica by drawing on new institutional economics to examine the relationship between the transaction costs in the property tax institution, the tax administrator-taxpayer relationship and compliance. Tina’s doctoral research has recently received two awards from grant funding organisations in the USA and UK. They are a Lowell C. Harris Dissertation Fellowship from the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy and the Mary Bradburn Prize from the British Federation of Women Graduates.
- MSc Real Estate and Property Management, University of Salford, UK (2015)
- MSc Built Environment, University of Technology, Jamaica (2011)
- BSc Land Economy and Valuation Surveying, University of Technology, Jamaica (2008)
- The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy Lowell C. Harris Dissertation Fellowship 2018,($10,000 USD)
- Principal Researcher for Towards Property Tax Compliance: A Case Study of Attitudes Toward Paying Property Taxes in Jamaica, 2015-16, funded by The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Ref TTB031015 ($30,000 USD)
- The British Federation of Women Graduates Mary Bradburn Prize (2018)
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarship (2015-2018)
- University of Salford Vice Chancellor Award for Excellence (2012-2014)
- Best Post Graduate Research in the School of Building and Land Management, University of Technology, Jamaica (2012)
- The Laurence Neufville Award for Best Academic Performance in the MSc Built Environment Programme, University of Technology, Jamaica (2012)
Beale, T . (2018). An Economic Analysis of Compulsory Acquisition in Selected Caribbean States. In Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Issues in Expropriation (pp.397-415). Oxford, UK: Taylor & Francis Group Ltd.
Beale, T. , ChannerMiller, R., Ishemo, A and Murray-Stuart, C. (2016). Towards Property Tax Compliance: A Case Study of Attitudes Toward Paying Property Taxes in Jamaica. Lincoln Institute of Land Policy Working Paper.
Beale, T. (2015). Real Estate Theory versus Practices: A Case Study of the Valuation Practices of Jamaican Valuers. Appraisal Journal, 83(2), pp.113-125.