Graduation at Greenlands
Queen Elizabeth II
Following the recent sad news about the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, we wanted to inform you that graduation ceremonies planned for Friday 16 September at Greenlands will proceed as planned. As a mark of respect at this time of huge national significance, a minute’s silence will be observed at each ceremony. The Vice-Chancellor has issued a statement of condolence on behalf of the University community and will write to HM King Charles III to express his sympathies.
Important Notice about Greenlands Graduation Ceremonies and Celebrations 2022
We are pleased to confirm the return of physical graduation ceremonies and celebrations to the Greenlands campus this Autumn.
If you completed your course or programme in 2022 and have now received your full and final results, you are warmly invited to attend your graduation ceremony on Friday 16th September, further details below. If you haven’t received your invitation, please contact email@example.com
If you completed your course or programme in 2020 or 2021, and have since received your degree certificate in the post, you are warmly invited to attend our special Alumni Graduation Celebration event on Saturday 17th September. If you haven’t received your invitation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and course details and the Alumni team will send this to you.
If you have any general questions or comments, please contact email@example.com.
Please see below a set of key dates for formal graduation in September 2022:
|Final results submitted to Exams Office||Tuesday 26 July 2022|
|Pay any outstanding tuition fee debts||Friday 26 August 2022|
|Submit virtual copy of your finalised thesis via centAUR (PhD/DBA students only)||By 12 noon Friday 9 September 2022|
Eligibility for Graduation
Programme members who have successfully completed an MA, MBA, MSc, DBA or PhD programme, or who have received a PGDip or PGCert as a final award at Henley Business School's Greenlands campus, or have studied a BA Apprenticeship programme, are awarded their degrees in a graduation ceremony held at our Greenlands campus in Henley-on-Thames.
Further information for Henley Business School students based at our Whiteknights campus can be found on the Graduation Office's website.
Invitations and Registration
Registration emails have now been sent out to all programme members who are due to formally graduate. Invitations were sent via graduands' university and personal email address details stored on their student records. If you think you are due to graduate and you have not received an invitation email by Monday 22 August 2022, please contact the Graduation Office as soon as possible by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may not be able to register for graduation on the Portal until you have received your invitation.
Once you have received your invitation you should register via the RISIS Portal.
View our Ceremony registration page for further information.
On the Day
Each graduand can request two guest tickets if they register before the deadline. Extra tickets, if available, are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis on the day and are released up to 90 minutes before each ceremony. Guests without tickets can watch from the nearby livestream room in the main house.
- View our Tickets page for detailed information.
- View the Greenlands Graduation Ceremonies online for guests who cannot travel to Henley Greenlands campus (please note this is video link is available on the degree day only and is shown live).
- Graduands should arrive 90 minutes before the start of their ceremony.
- On arrival you need to make your way to the ticket collection point, adjacent to the large marquees you will see on arrival, to collect any allocated guest tickets (number 1 on the Graduation map). It is here that you can also request up to two additional guest tickets, provided extra tickets are available on the day. Please be aware that there is no guarantee that extra tickets will be available for all ceremonies. They will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, with a maximum of two additional guest tickets per graduand.
- Once you have collected tickets you will need to collect your robes from the graduand robing room in the main house (number 13 on the Graduation map)
- You can then join your guests and fellow graduands in the pre-ceremony catering marquee for refreshments (number 4 on the Graduation map)
- You must be in the Processions Marquee (number 2 on the Graduation map) 45 minutes before the start of your ceremony, where you will be registered and lined up in procession order by a marshal. Please note the Processions Marquee will close 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony, if you are not in the Processions Marquee by this time you risk not being able to graduate in your ceremony.
- On arrival you need to make your way past the large marquees on the front lawn to the pre-ceremony catering marquee around the rear of the main house (number 4 on the Graduation map), while the graduands collect their tickets and robes
- Guests should make their way to the ceremony marquee (number 3 on the Graduation map) from 25 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony to be seated.
- Guests without tickets for the marquee are invited go to the livestream room inside the main house (number 12 on the Graduation map) to watch the ceremony live on a big screen.
Each ceremony lasts approximately 40-60 minutes. Guests should stay in their seats throughout the ceremony and be considerate to other guests if/when taking any photos during the ceremony
Guests with disabilities or mobility difficulties
We can reserve seats (or spaces for wheelchair users) in the marquee for guests with disabilities or mobility difficulties. Such requests are submitted via the registration process.
What to wear
Graduation is a formal occasion, so you should wear smart clothing beneath your gown; no jeans or trainers. It is useful to wear something such as a shirt or blouse with buttons which will make it easier to attach the hood to your clothing. If a shirt is worn then this should also be accompanied by a tie. Smart but comfortable shoes are important.
Appropriate military dress or the national dress of your country is allowed to be worn underneath your gown.
Please leave handbags, mobile phones, etc. with your guests. You will not be able to carry them with you in your ceremony.
Please be aware, we reserve the right to prevent you from joining your procession and graduating on the day if you are not dressed appropriately in the correct academic dress. You would, in that case, graduate in absence.
The 800 and 850 buses run between High Wycombe and Reading, stopping just outside Greenlands on a regular basis. Please visit the ArrivaBus website for further information.
If you arrive by car there is car parking available on the Meadow and you will be directed to a space by car parking attendants.
Taxis to airports, Henley or Reading stations can be booked at the Henley Business School Reception.
Food and drink
Refreshments will be available for graduands and their guests both before the ceremony in the catering marquee (number 4 on the Graduation map) and after ceremony for graduates and their ticketed guests from the Heyworth Room in the main house (number 7 on the Graduation map). Wine and champagne will be available to purchase by the glass.
There are souvenirs and merchandise available to purchase on the day from retailers stalls around the campus and on online before graduation:
- Photography is supplied by Ede and Ravenscroft. Studio photography and ceremony photography will be available in River House (number 20 on the Graduation map)
- Official Henley Business School merchandise from the HBS shop, also in River House.
Collecting your robes
You need to collect your academic robes on the day of your ceremony from the Greenlands Trust Suite at least 60 minutes prior to your ceremony (number 13 on the Graduation map).
Representatives from Ede & Ravenscroft will be on hand to help you robe. You should bring a record of your robe hire confirmation email with you.
Please leave your belongings (handbag, mobile phone etc.) with your guests as you will not be able to carry them with you in your ceremony.
Graduands should go to the Processions Marquee (number 2 on the Graduation map) 45 minutes before the start of their ceremony, where they will be registered and lined up in procession order by a marshal.
Please note the Processions Marquee will close 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony. If you are not in this marquee by this time you risk not being able to graduate in your ceremony.
Graduands will be given instructions and led to the ceremony marquee before the start of the ceremony. Graduands must sit in order or their names will be read out incorrectly. At the appropriate time, graduands will be directed by their marshal to process down centre of the marquee to the steps onto the stage.
Guests with tickets for the marquee will be permitted to enter 25 minutes before the ceremony and will be directed to their seats by ceremony marshals.
Guests without tickets to the marquee can watch the ceremony live in the Livestream room (number 12 on the Graduation map)
The Academic Staff Procession will enter the marquee and be seated on the stage. Chief Officers will then process in followed by the ceremonial Maces. Once the Procession is seated, the Presiding Officer will welcome graduands, guests and staff to Greenlands and to the ceremony. The University Orator will then declare the Congregation open for the conferment of degrees.
Graduands will be presented individually by the University Orator. You will be guided by your procession marshal up the centre of the marquee and you will ascend a short flight of stairs after your name is called. You will shake hands or doff your cap with the Presiding Officer, walk across the stage as a graduate and descend via the stairs on the left hand side. You will be presented with your degree certificate on your way back to your seat.
Once all the names have been called, you will then be seated for the remainder of the ceremony for a speech by the Dean of the Henley Business School. Please remember that you will be captured on the live web streaming. At the end of the ceremony, graduates will doff their caps to the Presiding Officer as they process out of the marquee. Graduates will then process out of the marquee following the Academic Staff Procession.
Please note, as it is a live feed, it is not possible for anyone to opt out of filming for the live web stream, therefore images recorded at Graduation will assume the permission of individuals pictured.
View the Greenlands Graduation Ceremonies live (Graduation day only).