The Board Directors' Programme
The Board Directors' Programme is available in two formats.
- Fee: £1,995 + VAT
- Length: 6 weeks, including 1 x 90 min session per week and 1 x 45 min one-to-one coaching session
- Dates: November 2020, March 2021, September 2021
- Fee: £2,550 + VAT (including residential costs)
- Length: 2 days
- Dates: June 2021
Discover what it takes to be a successful board member
The Board Directors' Programme equips you with the knowledge and skills needed to become an effective board member, including:
- Competitive advantage and how to leverage it for sustainable success
- Engaging with diverse stakeholder perspectives
- Developing your capability to influence and manage board relations
- The value of corporate, social and community responsibility.
Informed by Henley's extensive global research, the programme empowers you to diagnose and respond to your board's specific challenges.
Who is it suitable for?
Current and future board members, and those who work with them (including executive and non-executive directors).
- Understand how to add value and determine competitive advantage in your organisation
- Gain the self-confidence to maximise your role on the board
- Develop the skills and knowledge to facilitate others to fulfil both their individual and collective potential
- Develop board members who fully understand their roles and obligations, and who appreciate the value of shared goals
- Generate greater loyalty, retention and productivity throughout your organisation
- Develop an approach that supports your organisation's reputation and is in line with your values and ethics
The programme is delivered both live-online and in person. Both formats allow an engaging and stimulating experience that will give you a unique insight into the boardroom.
Led by Professor Andrew Kakabadse, the programme is based around practitioner-led experiences and research. Over the sessions you will be introduced to a number of high-profile board experts who will share their knowledge and expertise in frank and open conversations. Through confidential group discussion, questioning and sharing your own challenges, you will get an in depth understanding of what really goes on in the boardroom and how you can make the best contribution.
Both learning styles offer a personal approach, with close interaction with the Programme Director. On the live-online version, this is delivered through a virtual one-to-one coaching session.
Participant groups are small, with a maximum of 15-20 people.
Board structure and responsibilities
- The composition, role and dynamics of boards, including director relationships and their effect on the functioning of the board
- Board diversity
- The contribution of sub-committees and non-executive directors
Strategic performance (your own, your board's and your organisation's)
- How to engage fully with stakeholders*
- How to influence and effectively manage relations
- When boards become dysfunctional
- Your organisation’s competitive advantage and how to leverage it*
- Governance and its role in sustainable success
- The importance of corporate, social and community responsibility and reputation
The programme also covers:
- Role and contribution of investors
- How to get on to a Board
- Moral dilemmas*
* For the live online version these topics are examined through the one-to-one coaching session.
Informed by research with top teams globally
Programme Director Professor Andrew Kakabadse has collated the biggest database of boards in the world, from 37 countries including China, Russia, the Middle East and the USA. This research informs the Board Directors' Programme, giving you additional insight into your unique board challenges.
Read more about Professor Kakabadse's research:
Location and facilities
We pride ourselves on understanding the need to create an environment which is both relaxing and comfortable enabling work and study to be focused and effective. From our unique riverside location to our impressive amenities, we provide an ideal environment for meeting success.
How to find us (PDF-1.15 MB)
Balancing busy work schedules with relaxation and exercise is an important aspect of our approach at Henley. The fully equipped and professionally staffed Fitness Centre with views overlooking the beautiful grounds and River Thames has everything needed to restore a sense of well being.
At our Greenlands site we provide a variety of meeting rooms and conference facilities. Our rooms have been designed with an emphasis on practicality with many of our rooms benefiting from the latest presentation equipment to ensure that your meeting runs smoothly.
The conference rooms at Greenlands, Henley, all feature air conditioning, natural daylight and excellent acoustics, as well as state-of-the-art AV and presentation technology controlled by bluetooth touch screens, free WiFi access, laptop connections, networked PC and large screens. Our larger rooms also have repeater screens. Each conference room has access to dedicated syndicate and break-out rooms and refreshment areas close by. Stationery, flipcharts, photocopying facilities and whiteboards are included as standard.
All syndicate and meeting rooms at Henley are fitted with a large screen, networked PC, whiteboards and have free WiFi access and laptop connections. River House 1-14 are also fitted with Copycam, allowing users to capture whiteboard notes at the touch of a button. Digital recorders, video and stills cameras are also available on request. All are laid out boardroom style.
We have 100 rooms including some with disabled facilities. All rooms are en-suite & include a safe, trouser press, laptop connection with free Wi-Fi access, direct dial telephone, satellite TV with radio, Molton Brown toiletries, tea & coffee making facilities and a hair dryer. Photograph of Thames Court accommodation.
Full English breakfast is served in our main dining room, which overlooks the River Thames. Our dedicated staff maintain the facility 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All guest rooms receive daily housekeeping services.
When it comes to dining, we offer you choice, quality and flexibility. We understand that you also want facilities that are conducive to networking, and dining arrangements that integrate seamlessly with the other aspects of your day. Henley is renowned for both its excellent standards of service and the high quality of cuisine. The chefs and their professional staff are able to offer the sophistication of a memorable evening dinner in the spacious dining room, with its views over the lawns down to the Thames.
Fresh, varied breakfasts are prepared by award-winning chefs and served each morning in the beautiful, riverside restaurant - the Heyworth Room.
Several tea and coffee areas are situated throughout the buildings, the Garden Common Room is situated beside the Heyworth Room and is open throughout the day and evening offering a wide range of Fairtrade drinks and a selection of biscuits. The bar is open each evening serving a full range of drinks.
Henley Conference Centre and Hotel
Set in its own 30 acre estate in the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside, alongside the River Thames, this magnificent Grade II Listed Building offers excellent conference, meeting and event facilities and provides a spectacular setting for any gathering. For more information about booking our beautiful facilities please visit the Henley Conferences website.
History of Greenlands
Records indicate that there has been a house on our Greenlands site for 500 years, although the house would have originally been much closer to the river.
Greenlands has been home to a series of notable families and individuals throughout its lifetime. These include Thomas Chaucer, son of Geoffrey Chaucer; Robert D'Oyley, Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1573; Bulstrode Whitelock, Oliver Cromwell's Ambassador to Sweden and most recently WH Smith, who bought the existing house in 1871. Queen Elizabeth I is also known to have visited on more than one occasion, most likely when staying at her royal palace in Reading.
The site became the home of a new Administrative Staff College in 1946, first welcoming students in 1948. In 1952, after the unexpected death of Viscount Hambleden from whom the College leased the site, an opportunity to purchase Greenlands' 30 acres arose. The College was renamed Henley Management College in 1991, and following the 2008 merger with the University of Reading became Henley Business School. Today, the world-ranked Henley MBA, The Henley DBA and our executive education programmes are delivered at Greenlands.
Points of view
- Gender equality on UK boards
- Why boardrooms need tension
- What value do boards add?
- Extraordinary Disruptions: How will your board rise to the challenge of unexpected challenges?
- The innovative leader- article discussing why innovation is a key skills for today's most effective leaders
- Bribery hits 85% of UK managers operating internationally, Professor Kakabadse
- 'Is leadership everyone's job?' Initial findings by Dr Bernd Vogel & Dr Ana Graca from Henley Centre for Engaging Leadership
- What makes a great leader? You need 5 Q's. By Professor Andrew Kakabadse
- Do you worry that you're about to be found out? If so you're not alone...
- Win at all costs? Where should boards draw the line?
- Research confirms boards have significant issues when addressing disruption (but most of them are internal)
Offers & Discounts
NEDA Members receive a 10% discount
- 10% reduction on the programme fee for Henley alumni*
- 10% reduction on the programme fee for members of The Henley Partnership
For more information please contact email@example.com
When booking multiple open programmes which are paid for upfront, the following discount structure applies:
- 2-4 people = 10% reduction
- 5-9 people = 15% reduction
- 10+ people = 20% reduction
A 50% discount is available to employees of registered charities - please note that the discount is applied at Henley Business School's discretion; to confirm eligibility please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Only one discount can apply.
One-day HR Masterclasses do not qualify for this multiple bookings fee reduction.
* 10% discount applies only to alumni graduates of the University of Reading (not to graduates of Henley Management College)
The Henley Experience
Helping you become exceptional is at the heart of everything we do. The Henley Experience is highly practical, collaborative and academically rigorous. We develop confident leaders and professionals who are able to take a fresh perspective and have the energy, capability and resilience to ensure that they and their organisations are successful.
THE HENLEY EXPERIENCE:
- Rigour & relevance
The Henley Experience is much more than a set of principles. It is ingrained in our spirit and fundamental to our purpose and heritage, characterising the way we can help you to deliver exceptional performance.
We engage with you at the deepest level, fostering a shared spirit of curiosity, exploration, investigation and learning. We collaborate with you in order to challenge assumptions and mindsets, and get to the heart of the real business issues you face.
By creating a safe environment that promotes self-reflection, you are able to ask yourself those crucial questions that allow you to learn more about what informs your strategic business decisions and actions.
We work closely with you to diagnose your strategic individual and organisational aims. We then identify programmes that are best aligned to these goals, or we can co-evolve a learning design specifically aimed at achieving these strategic outcomes.
RIGOUR & RELEVANCE
We draw on world-class research and originate leading-edge thinking – but theory remains theory unless it is applied to real-world business. All of our programmes are delivered by experienced faculty who integrate academic rigour with commercial application. What you learn translates into business results.
Our customers rely on our long history and global reputation for successful executive development. These strengths underlie our responsible and collaborative way of working with you to co-create the very best executive learning experiences and commercial outcomes.
At Henley we know we cannot just be exceptional – we are here to help you become exceptional.