Over the three days you will get to:
- Sit in on taster lectures, exploring current themes in property, with the chance to interact with the lecturers and other participants
- Virtually visit various development sites and learn about how they operate
- Take part in a group project, culminating in a group presentation at the end of the event
- Learn about the great career opportunities available from some of the top employers in the industry
- Get to hear from recent graduates and apprentices about their experience of the industry
- Hear first-hand from current Real Estate and Planning students about what it is like to study property and go to university
- Develop key skills needed in the workplace such as networking, presentation skills and confidence
All you will need to take part in the course is a computer/laptop/tablet and a quiet space to focus on the online content.
Who can apply?
The Summer School is open to Year 12 students from a state funded school/college in the UK.
Places will be offered to those who best meet the following criteria:
- Attend and have always attended a state funded, non-fee paying school or college
- Students from neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to Higher Education and/or high levels of socioeconomic deprivation
- Students with no immediate family working in the real estate sector
- Students who have no family experience of University
- Students who have been eligible to receive Free School Meals while at secondary school
- Students who have been looked after or in care
- Students who have achieved a Grade 5 or above in Mathematics and English GCSE
- Students who have predicted grades of ABB A Level or equivalent qualification
The next Summer School will take place from 19 - 21 July 2021 and the event will take place ONLINE. The application deadline has been extended until 30th June. However places will be offered from mid May so we encourage early applications.
*For the safety of all participants we have made the decision to deliver the Pathways to Property Summer School online in 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions. All participants will be supported with technology access if required and we hope that by Autumn we will be able to organise an in-person event to meet all the 2021 Summer School cohort.
“'Previously I had thought that real estate was just the buying and selling of homes, but Pathways to Property amazingly opened my eyes a lot more to the sector – an adventure I greatly enjoyed and will never forget'”Leo, Summer School Participant
Work Experience placements
All Summer School participants will be offered the opportunity to complete a one week work experience placement over October half term in a leading real estate firm. This is a great chance to learn more about the industry and experience office life. Each participant will be provided with a bursary to cover travel and subsistence costs for the week.
“‘My work experience showed me there is more to property than selling and buying houses…it has given me a feel of what it is like in a professional work place and how important it is to build and maintain interpersonal relationships. The experience has confirmed that this is the area I would like to work in.’”Favour, Work Experience attendee
Each Summer School participant can sign up to our e-mentoring programme through the online platform ‘Brightside’. You will be matched with a current student studying real estate and planning who can support you through decision-making about careers, routes into the industry and university life.
The Pathways to Property programme is fully funded so no student shall be left out of pocket. Further to this, if any Summer School participant chooses to study Real Estate and Planning at Henley Business School, University of Reading they shall receive a £1000 Welcome Bursary upon enrolment. In addition, any participant who would not be able to study on the course without financial support can apply for the RREF Pathways to Property Bursary of up to £30,000 over three years of study. By doing so we hope we can remove any financial barriers to entry to Higher Education and reduce the pressure on students during their studies.
Tel: +44 (0)118 378 4196