Refugee week: Five ways to integrate refugees in the workplace
Employment is a key factor in refugee integration. Leaders and HR professionals therefore play a central role address some of the main barriers. Human resource management is required develop competencies which go well beyond their traditional role and function. It is high time for HR managers to leave their comfort zone in order to tackle one of the major challenges we face in the 21st century.
Here are five ways businesses can help refugees feel welcome in the workplace:
- Assist refugees in the process to obtain recognition for educational and professional certificates.
- Provide support and assistance beyond the workplace, such as assisting refugees to find adequate housing.
- Provide additional resources, such as language and cultural training. Cultural training should be also provided to national employees to boost their understanding on cultural differences and enable collaboration across different working groups.
- Promote equality by developing and implementing fair policies and practices.
- Address well-being of refugees by ensuring they understand how to manage traumatised refugees.
Read Dr Washika Haak-Saheem's previous Leading Insights piece to read more about what refugee workers add to the workplace.