At a glance
- Understand competitive advantage and how to leverage it for sustainable success
- Engage with diverse stakeholder perspectives
- Develop your capability to influence and manage board relations
- Recognise the value of corporate, social and community responsibility
- Subject area(s)
- £1,995 (live-online) / £2,550 (in-person, including residential costs) + VAT
- Course length
- Taught over 6 weeks (live-online) / 2 days (in-person)
- Suitable for
- Current and future board members and those who work with them (including executive and non-executive directors)
- Next start date
- Online, Greenlands campus
The Board Directors' Programme equips you with the knowledge and skills needed to become an effective board member. It will debunk the myths and provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the role.
Informed by Henley's extensive global research, the programme empowers you to diagnose and respond to your board's specific challenges.
Small yet diverse learning groups give you a confidential forum in which you can share your experiences. You will also learn through stimulating practitioner-led sessions and high profile guest speakers.
Understand how to add value and determine competitive advantage in your organisation
Gain the self-confidence to maximise your role on the board
Develop the skills and knowledge to facilitate others to fulfil both their individual and collective potential
Set dates have been allocated for the one-to-one coaching sessions and will be confirmed at the time of booking.
Unless otherwise specified, live-online sessions take place between 12.00 - 13.30 GMT.
Standard rate VAT is applicable for UK businesses; overseas businesses based in the EU without a VAT number; and individuals based in the UK, EU or rest of the world.
|Course fee:||£1,995 (live-online) / £2,550 (in-person, including residential costs) + VAT|
|Duration:||Taught over 6 weeks (live-online) / 2 days (in-person)|
|Suitable for:||Current and future board members and those who work with them (including executive and non-executive directors)|
Available start dates
|BDP live-online: Session 1 (10.00 - 11.30 GMT)||05/11/20||05/11/20|
|BDP live-online: Session 2 (10.00 - 11.30 GMT)||12/11/20||12/11/20|
|BDP live-online: Session 3 (10.00 - 11.30 GMT)||19/11/20||19/11/20|
|BDP live-online: Session 4 (10.00 - 11.30 GMT)||26/11/20||26/11/20|
|BDP live-online: Session 5 (10.00 - 11.30 GMT)||03/12/20||03/12/20|
|BDP live-online: Session 6 (10.00 - 11.30 GMT)||10/12/20||10/12/20|
|BDP live-online: Session 1||24/03/21||24/03/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 2||31/03/21||31/03/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 3||07/04/21||07/04/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 4||14/04/21||14/04/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 5||21/04/21||21/04/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 6||28/04/21||28/04/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 1||15/09/21||15/09/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 2||22/09/21||22/09/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 3||29/09/21||29/09/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 4||06/10/21||06/10/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 5||13/10/21||13/10/21|
|BDP live-online: Session 6||20/10/21||20/10/21|
The programme is delivered both live-online and in person. Both formats allow an engaging and stimulating experience that will give you a unique insight into the boardroom.
Led by Professor Andrew Kakabadse, the programme is based around practitioner-led experiences and research. Over the sessions you will be introduced to a number of high-profile board experts who will share their knowledge and expertise in frank and open conversations and presentations. Through confidential group discussion, questioning and sharing your own challenges, you will get an in depth understanding of what really goes on in the boardroom and how you can make the best contribution.
Both learning styles offer a personal approach, with close interaction with the Programme Director. On the live-online version, this is delivered through a virtual one-to-one coaching session.
Participant groups are small, with a maximum of 15-20 people.
Delivered over 6 weeks, including 1 x 90 min session per week and 1 x 45 min one-to-one coaching session
Delivered over 2 days
Board structure and responsibilities
- The composition, role and dynamics of boards, including director relationships and their effect on the functioning of the board
- Board diversity
- The contribution of sub-committees and non-executive directors
Strategic performance (your own, your board's and your organisation's)
- How to engage fully with stakeholders*
- How to influence and effectively manage relations
- When boards become dysfunctional
- Your organisation’s competitive advantage and how to leverage it*
- Governance and its role in sustainable success
- The importance of corporate, social and community responsibility and reputation
The programme also covers:
- Role and contribution of investors
- How to get on to a Board
- Moral dilemmas*
* For the live-online version these topics are examined through the one-to-one coaching session.
Informed by research with top teams globally
Programme Director Professor Andrew Kakabadse has collated the biggest database of boards in the world, from 37 countries including China, Russia, the Middle East and the USA. This research informs the Board Directors' Programme, giving you additional insight into your unique board challenges.
Read more about Professor Kakabadse's research:
"Very thought provoking ... I feel confident to work with the board to further strengthen it."
Warren Turner, Financial Director, Moneyhub Financial Technology Ltd
"Practitioners talking about their challenges and issues meant it wasn’t just theory, but was a balanced learning experience."
"Offers a rich menu for those with board aspirations and those who have been there for a while."
The following reductions are available on programmes fees
- 10% for Henley alumni*
- 15% for members of The Henley Partnership
The following discount is available on programme fees when multiple open programmes are booked. Payment is required in advance and this offer is subject to eligibility**.
- 10% 2-4 people
- 15% 5-9 people
- 20% 10+ people
A 50% discount is available to registered charities.
It is subject to eligibility and available at Henley Business School's discretion**
* Alumni discount is available to Henley Business School alumni (as part of University of Reading) not to graduates of Henley Management College.
** Please contact us for eligibility criteria, availability and terms.
For more information
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Set in sweeping parkland on the banks of the River Thames, Henley Business School's Greenlands campus provides an inspiring and reflective environment for focused work and study.
Why choose Henley?
(Financial Times Executive Education open enrolment programmes rankings 2020)
(Financial Times Executive Education 2020 - The Top 50 Schools [combining Custom and Open programmes ranking])
(Financial Times Executive Education open enrolment programmes rankings 2020)
For 75 years, Henley Business School has developed confident and resilient business leaders. Executive Education at Henley is:
- Practical: we combine academic rigour with a strong practical focus, so you can immediately apply what you have learned back in your organisation.
- Relevant: Henley faculty are experienced practitioners who can support you in exploring solutions to your organisation’s challenges.
- Collaborative: Open programmes enable you to expand your network, gain new perspectives and share ideas with peers from a range of backgrounds and sectors.
- Personal: deliberately small learning groups allow you to benefit from individual attention and a confidential environment. We encourage you to understand your unique strengths, leadership style, and areas for development.
Mike Harwood is a former Board Directors' Programme participant who works for The Military Mutual. He explains how his time at Henley made him a more effective board member.