At a glance
- Available to those who have successfully completed the Henley Senior Leader Apprenticeship | Leadership and achieved the Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership
- Access the in-depth leadership knowledge and skills Henley offers
- Further advance your senior leaders' abilities
- Learners will complete a study or dissertation addressing a specific leadership challenge
- Subject area(s)
- Business & Management
- Course length
- Approximately 7 months
- Suitable for
- Senior leaders who have completed the Senior Leader Apprenticeship | Leadership and been awarded the Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership
This leadership-focused course enables individuals to take their existing knowledge and skills to an advanced level. It can help shape managers with the ability to lead their teams with unparalleled excellence. Completing extra modules and further study allows learners to achieve Henley’s MA Leadership.
Please note: an MA Leadership cohort may not be immediately available, and a learner may need to wait for 6–12 months following their Senior Leader Apprenticeship. All workshop and assignment submission dates are subject to change by Henley Business School. Henley Business School reserves the right to postpone an intake start date if the minimum number of students is not reached.
Deepen and expand upon the knowledge and skills developed on the Senior Leader Apprenticeship | Leadership, further strengthening your leader’s expertise
Develop your employees' leadership skills, enabling them to transfer and develop those skills in other individuals and teams
Encourage your leaders to think holistically of how leadership impacts your entire value chain in a global context
Cohorts start once a year. The start date depends on the date a learner successfully completes their Postgraduate Diploma Leadership.
Fellow students may have studied the Senior Leader Apprenticeship or Stages 1 and 2 of the MA Leadership.
To join this programme, individuals will need to have successfully completed the following:
- Senior Leader Apprenticeship | Leadership, including the end-point assessment (EPA)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership. This is the post-apprenticeship programme academic assessment. The work-based projects of Learners who have requested the Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership will be assessed, and Learners will be notified that they have met the requirements and that their credits will be awarded towards Stages 1 and 2 of the MA in Leadership. They can then progress to complete the MA in Leadership.
* Once learners hold an offer for the Senior Leader Apprenticeship | Leadership, they will be able to formally request a place for progression onto the MA Leadership. No further application will be necessary. Progression is subject to the above entry requirements.
Stage 3 of the MA Leadership requires further study and an additional fee of £4,950.
Developing leadership in the organisation
The final stage of the MA Leadership lasts for approximately seven months. It begins with a two-day starter workshop to orient learners onto the MA Leadership, focussing on academic study and writing and research skills.
There are two compulsory modules:
This module helps to develop leadership in others. With this end in mind, learners will:
Dr Stephen Simister
The leadership study/dissertation is a major research-based project in which you investigate a significant business problem and recommend solutions.
It will develop and build on key elements of the learning throughout the programme, and apply it within a practical context. Learners should choose a challenge in their own organisation as a basis for their leadership study project.
Dr Caroline Rook
*The module or course content descriptions set out on this page are correct for those being taught in the current academic year. Modules or course content marked as optional are indicative and may be subject to change. Please note, constraints in timetable scheduling may mean you are unable to take some optional modules at the same time as others.
Dr Stephen Simister is an associate professor of Programme and change management at Henley Business School. He brings over 30 years’ business experience implementing complex international business change programmes. He has been involved in the MA Leadership programme since its inception in 2014.
For clients wishing to run a closed cohort, we have the flexibility to deliver the programme at locations nationwide. If you do not wish to use your organisation's facilities, we are happy to arrange an alternative teaching venue that may be more convenient for your staff.
All workshops for open cohorts are taught at our Greenlands campus near Henley-on-Thames. Set in sweeping parkland on the banks of the River Thames, this beautiful campus provides an inspiring and reflective environment for focused work and study.
Through the Henley Business School Library and the virtual learning environment, learners can access a multitude of resources including books, journals, market research reports, dissertations, working papers and company information.
Why choose Henley?
For 75 years, Henley Business School has developed confident and resilient business leaders. Find out more about our approach to working with you