At a glance
- A pre-experience Level 6 degree apprenticeship
- Shape the future of your workforce and build a pipeline of diverse, aspiring talent
- Develop young employees' personal effectiveness, management skills, and understanding of their business
- First cohort planned for January 2023
- Subject area(s)
- Business and administration
- £22,000 (can be funded by your organisation's apprenticeship service account)
- Course length
- 3 years, including 3 months for end-point assessment
- Suitable for
- Ambitious school leavers; early career talent with less than two years' experience
The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship | BA (Hons) Management Practice builds your organisation's future capability by setting young professionals on the path to a management position.
It is designed for those with less than two years' professional work experience, including Sixth Form and college leavers.
Learners on the programme will:
- Gain a strong grounding across the main areas of business and management
- Understand the environment in which your organisation operates
- Apply their learning to current challenges and opportunities within your organisation
- Develop key employability skills such as communication, time management, critical thinking, decision-making and team working
Interested in studying as a degree apprentice? Visit our Rising Star course page for learners
Attract young talent by investing in their development
Strengthen your leadership pipeline
Develop young employees with the ability to lead and innovate in a complex business environment
Employability skills such as communication, time management and critical decision-making are embedded throughout the programme
Employers need to formally nominate learners before they can apply to our apprenticeship programmes. They must also enter a three-way agreement with the apprentice and Henley Business School/the University of Reading.
Entry requirements for the individual
Nominated learners should:
- Have no more than two years' relevant professional work experience
- Hold at least three A-levels at grades ABB or higher (or equivalent)*
- Be identified by the organisation as 'high potential', i.e. suitable to start their journey to a management position
- Be employed as a designated apprentice working towards the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship
* Lower A-level grades may be accepted if the applicant has up to two years' professional work experience. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
English and maths requirements
Nominated learners MUST hold Level 2 qualifications in English and maths (i.e. GCSEs at Grades 9-4 or A*-C, or equivalent) before starting their Henley apprenticeship programme.
We ask you, the employer, to ensure applicants can provide evidence of these qualifications. You must do this before including them on your cohort form.
For more information, see our FAQ page.
Applicants may already hold a Level 6 qualification, as long as this is in a subject other than business and management (or related fields).
The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship | BA (Hons) Management Practice costs £22,000 and can be funded with your organisation’s apprenticeship service account. All employers must have an account to access the apprenticeship service.
The first cohort aims to run in January 2023. Please contact us for further information.
Apprenticeship programmes are taught using a blended learning method that combines face-to-face workshops* with online and on-the-job learning.
At each stage of the BA Management Practice programme, learners will participate in:
- Full-day workshops, which include group work and peer feedback sessions
- Weekly virtual seminars with a learning coach
- Regular meetings with their Apprenticeship Tutor
- Individual project supervision
- Supplementary activities and events
Every stage includes a Professional Practice module to help learners apply what they have learned and support them as they take their first steps into both the workplace and higher education.
* Due to COVID-19, face-to-face workshops are currently delivered live-online. Find out about our remote education offer for apprentices.
Dr Andrea Tresidder is a Lecturer in Organisational Behaviour at Henley. Her specialisms include organisational behaviour, research methods, project management, and how people learn in a careers context.
There are coursework-based assessments throughout the programme.
Learners enter Gateway after completing their final module. They then need to prepare for their end-point assessment (EPA). Throughout the programme, students will build a portfolio of evidence which will be used as part of the EPA process.
On successful completion of the programme, apprentices will be awarded:
- BA (Hons) in Management Practice
- Level 6 Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship
For employers that choose the CMI as the end-point assessment organisation, apprentices may also achieve:
- A CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management & Leadership
- Chartered Manager status (on successful EPA)
- CMI student membership (programme duration plus three months, with option for individuals to pay full membership thereafter).
In Stage 1, apprentices will explore the organisation's environment and look at how key resources - such as people and financial resources - can be used to achieve business objectives.
A non-credit-bearing introductory module prepares students for their apprenticeship journey.
- Introduction to Business and Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- Business Finance
- Personal Effectiveness: Understanding Myself and Others
- Sales and Marketing
- Professional Practice 1
In Stage 2, apprentices will deepen their understanding of how their organisation operates by developing their knowledge and practice around the management of human resources, operations, processes, projects, and infrastructure.
- People Management
- Operations and Infrastructure
- Principles of Project Management
- Personal Effectiveness: Leadership and Coaching
- Introduction to Research
- Professional Practice 2
In Stage 3, apprentices consider how their organisation can deliver sustainable value for its various stakeholders. They will be introduced to topics including ethics and governance, the challenges of the digital age, and organisational change management.
- Digital Technologies and Innovation
- Work-based Project
- Personal Effectiveness: Leading and Managing Change
- Contemporary Issues
- Professional Practice 3
Depending on the cohort, teaching can take place at our Whiteknights campus or locations nationwide.
Through the Henley Business School Library and the virtual learning environment, learners can access a multitude of resources including books, journals, market research reports, dissertations, working papers and company information.
Why choose Henley?
For 75 years, Henley Business School has developed confident and resilient business leaders. Find out more about our approach to working with you
You might also like
Senior Leader Apprenticeship | Business Administration (+MBA)
The Henley Executive Diploma in Advanced Strategic Management and Leadership is a Level 7 apprenticeship that can shape staff into strategic, innovative leaders.
Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship | BA (Hons) Applied Management
For progressing and existing managers, this Level 6 degree apprenticeship enables learners to develop their management skills and address strategic challenges.
Senior Leader Apprenticeship | Future Leaders (+MSc)
The Henley Executive Diploma in Management for Future Leaders is a Level 7 apprenticeship that develops graduate talent and emerging leaders.