At a glance
- This course forms Stage 1 of the MSc in Coaching for Behavioural Change
- Learn and practise key coaching tools, techniques and approaches
- Understand the psychology and neuroscience behind behavioural change
- Choose to study in-person or live-online
- £11,500 for new starters, £5,550 for PCEC exempt students. See 'Fees and available dates' for more details
- Course length
- Module 1 (PCEC): 9 months / Module 2: 6 months
- Suitable for
- Those with some knowledge and experience of executive coaching, including independent coaches and managers
This part-time course forms Stage 1 of the MSc in Coaching for Behavioural Change and earns an exit award of Postgraduate Certificate in Coaching for Behavioural Change.
It comprises two modules:
This triple-accredited course empowers you to develop and practise key coaching skills, and can be studied in-person or live-online. If you have completed the PCEC within the last five years, you can progress straight to Module 2.
Module 2: Neuroscience and Psychology
Take your coaching to a deeper level by understanding how the brain works during coaching. Discover how to use psychological techniques to engage with your coachees and enable positive change.
Practise different coaching approaches and tools
Become a resilient coach who can function effectively in a diverse range of business situations
Understand the psychological processes involved in behavioural change and how coaching can support this
Gain a professional coaching qualification from an internationally-respected business school
You will typically have a good first degree or an equivalent professional qualification, and a minimum of 5 years' management experience. We also welcome applications from candidates with substantial knowledge, experience and skills in a relevant field who do not meet these requirements. An excellent level of English is essential and proficiency testing may be requested.
Participants who have completed the Henley Professional Certificate in Executive Coaching (PCEC) within the last 5 years are exempt from this module.
£11,500 for new starters (in-person), £11,000 for new starters (live-online), £5,550 for PCEC exempt students. See 'Fees and available dates' for more details
NOTE: In-person delivery will take place in accordance with, and subject to, the latest government guidance and measures put in place by the University of Reading.
Intakes for Module 1, the Henley Professional Certificate in Executive Coaching, are scheduled regularly throughout the year.
You can study Module 1 in any format provided that you have completed Workshop 3 prior to the commencement of Module 2 (Neuroscience & Psychology) that begins in January of each year. We recommend starting Module 1 before the end of September to allow sufficient breaks between workshop sessions.
Module 1 intakes:
Please note, intake spaces are subject to availability. For the latest information please contact the team.
PGCert (Stage 1 of the MSc) Intake 15
- Begin Module 1 (Henley Professional Certificate in Executive Coaching) before the end of September 2023
- Module 2 begins in January 2024
The PGCert in Coaching for Behavioural Change comprises two modules:
Module 1: Professional Certificate in Executive Coaching
For more details visit the PCEC course page. Exemption from this module is available for participants who have previously completed the Henley Professional Certificate in Executive Coaching no more than five years prior.
Module 2: Neuroscience and Psychology
Through this module you will develop your understanding of a broad range of psychological tools and techniques that can be used at an individual or an organisational level.
You will learn through practical workshops, taught content, reading and reflection. Final assessment is through a 5,000-word assignment.
- Psychology and its organisational applications
- Psychological theories of change
- Cognitive behavioural approaches and their translation to coaching, including mindfulness, compassion-focused, and acceptance and commitment approaches
- Positive psychology and its applications
- Motivational approaches to behavioural change
- The structure of the brain and common human biases/functions which relate to coaching practice
You can continue your study with Stages 2 and 3 of the MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change.
Module 1, the Henley Professional Certificate in Executive Coaching, is accredited by the International Coaching Federation (ICF), Association for Coaching (AC) and the European Mentoring & Coaching Council (EMCC). This recognises the quality of the learning experience and provides the option for individual accreditation with any or all of these bodies following successful completion of the programme.
The Henley Partnership
- 10% discount for THP members
- 50% discount
Henley Business School is pleased to offer up to two discounted places for employees of UK registered charities on each intake of the PGCert/PGDip/MSc in Coaching for Behavioural Change. Places are allocated through a competitive process. Applicants will need to provide:
- Proof of paid employee status of a UK registered charity
- Confirmation that this role is their main employment
- The UK registered charity number
- Confirmation that charity can be invoiced directly
To apply, please complete and return the charity discount application form. We are considering charity discount applications on a rolling basis. See here for further details of the application process.
* Alumni discount is available to Henley Business School alumni (as part of University of Reading), not to graduates of Henley Management College.
Only one discount can apply.
For more information please contact email@example.com
Set in sweeping parkland on the banks of the River Thames, Henley Business School's Greenlands campus provides an inspiring and reflective environment for focused work and study.
Why choose Henley?
(Financial Times Executive Education open enrolment programmes rankings 2023)
(Executive Education 2023: Top 50 combined ranking and school profiles)
(Financial Times Executive Education programme rankings 2022)
The Henley Centre for Coaching
The Henley Centre for Coaching is a global leader in coaching research and coach training. The Centre is home to a wealth of resources, including the National Coaching Resources Centre, and is a proud recipient of the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC) Coaching Award.
Executive Education at Henley
For 75 years, Henley Business School has developed confident and resilient business leaders. Executive Education at Henley is:
- Practical: we combine academic rigour with a strong practical focus, so you can immediately apply what you have learned back in your organisation.
- Relevant: Henley faculty are experienced practitioners who can support you in exploring solutions to your organisation’s challenges.
- Collaborative: Open programmes enable you to expand your network, gain new perspectives and share ideas with peers from a range of backgrounds and sectors.
- Personal: deliberately small learning groups allow you to benefit from individual attention and a confidential environment. We encourage you to understand your unique strengths, leadership style, and areas for development.