30 months minimum for full MSc (based on a September 2020 start.)
Should an earlier Module 1 intake be selected, the overall duration of the programme will span a longer period. See programme schedule for full detail.
Part-time programme combining residential workshops and self-directed study
This triple-accredited, part-time executive coaching programme offers tools and techniques, greater self-awareness, and insight into behavioural change.
It is research-driven and led by inspirational tutors, and the in-person workshops at Henley Business School give valuable time for reflection and practising new coaching skills (including coaching supervision).
Alongside an increased range of coaching tools and techniques, you will develop:
- An understanding of the psychological processes involved in behavioural change and how coaching can be used to support this
- Expertise and confidence in executive coaching by deepening your understanding of behaviour (your own and others)
Triple accredited: Join a programme recognised by leading coaching organisations
The Henley Professional Certificate in Coaching (Module 1 of this MSc) is accredited by the International Coach Federation (ICF), Association for Coaching (AC) and the European Mentoring & Coaching Council (EMCC); recognising the quality of the learning experience and providing the option for individual accreditation with any or all of these bodies following successful completion of the programme.
Aligning coaching objectives to business objectives
Organisations are increasingly looking to executive coaching - conducted by both dedicated coaches and line managers – to help their people work through challenging business issues. To contribute effectively, a coach needs the ability to align coaching objectives to business objectives.
The Henley MSc in Coaching and Behavioural Change is unique in its emphasis on the organisational context for executive coaching. For example, programme participants will:
- Develop the analytical and problem solving skills to facilitate effective coaching of senior managers
- Develop a practitioner research project (which may focus on a management challenge and business objectives)
The Henley Centre for Coaching: Be part of a coaching community
Your programme fee includes membership to The Henley Centre for Coaching (for the programme duration.) This provides benefits such as access to up to 10 webinars a year, networking opportunities, online discussion forums, research and blogs.
Who is the Henley MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change for?
For those who are using, and intend to develop further, a coaching approach either in a line management role or as a professional freelance executive coach.
It is an effective programme for managers who may be seeking to build a business-focused coaching culture within their organisations and develop the impact of executive coaching.
You will typically have a good first degree or an equivalent professional qualification, and a minimum of 5 years of management experience. We also welcome applications from candidates with substantial knowledge, experience and skills in a relevant field, who do not meet these requirements. An excellent level of English is essential and proficiency testing may be requested.
Format and duration
Study is part-time, scheduled over 30 months with an additional 6 months for writing up assignments if required. In-person workshops are held at our Greenlands campus.
Content and assessment
This qualification is achieved in three stages. Successful completion of each stage is required before you can progress to the next.
Stage 1: Postgraduate Certificate in Coaching & Behavioural Change
Module A - Professional Certificate in Coaching
* Exemption from this module is available for prospective participants who have previously completed the Henley Professional Certificate in Coaching no more than five years prior. Please contact us to discuss this.
Module B - Neuroscience & psychology for behavioural change
- Explore evidence-based tools and techniques, including cognitive behavioural coaching, motivational interviewing, and acceptance and commitment based coaching
- Consider relevant psychological theories and the latest research into neuroscience
- Develop your ability to support yourself and others, to resolve issues, overcome barriers and embrace new behaviours and ways of thinking
- Learning formats include step-by-step practice, how-to demonstrations, group exercises, and work in pairs and trios
Stage 2: Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching & Behavioural Change
Module A - Advanced coaching practice
- Explore some of the more difficult situations a coach can face - both interpersonal and contextual issues
- Topics include cross-cultural coaching, coaching and behavioural change in the international arena, and the business of coaching itself
Module B - Group dynamics and systems thinking
- Understand the theory and practice of working with groups within a system or organisation
- Learn about coaching and behavioural change at an organisational level
- Develop an understanding of 'the system' rather than the individual response, and the dynamic nature of relationships
Module C - Becoming a reflective practitioner
- Develop your ability to reflect on the relationship between personal beliefs and the habits of interpersonal behaviour
- Build on some of the psychodynamic models introduced in Stage 1
- Learn how to achieve a high level of self-awareness and behavioural flexibility
Stage 3: MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change
Module A - Dissertation
- Undertake a master's level research project investigating a coaching and behavioural change topic of your choice. This provides the opportunity for a critical examination of the topic and a platform for further professional development
- You will be supported by research and data analysis workshops, as well as guidance from an individual supervisor
Module B - Personal project
- Begun during Stage 1, the personal project encourages you to identify themes of personal development as a coach to be followed over the programme duration
- Just as the research project is about an external application of what has been learnt, the personal project is designed to be inward looking
You will have ongoing contact with Henley Business School through:
- Access to resources from the online learning portal for up to 12 months
- University of Reading and Henley alumni status
- Option to continue membership of The Henley Centre for Coaching (fee payable)
Location and facilities
We pride ourselves on understanding the need to create an environment which is both relaxing and comfortable enabling work and study to be focused and effective. From our unique riverside location to our impressive amenities, we provide an ideal environment for meeting success.
How to find us (PDF-1.15 MB)
Balancing busy work schedules with relaxation and exercise is an important aspect of our approach at Henley. The fully equipped and professionally staffed Fitness Centre with views overlooking the beautiful grounds and River Thames has everything needed to restore a sense of well being.
At our Greenlands site we provide a variety of meeting rooms and conference facilities. Our rooms have been designed with an emphasis on practicality with many of our rooms benefiting from the latest presentation equipment to ensure that your meeting runs smoothly.
The conference rooms at Greenlands, Henley, all feature air conditioning, natural daylight and excellent acoustics, as well as state-of-the-art AV and presentation technology controlled by bluetooth touch screens, free WiFi access, laptop connections, networked PC and large screens. Our larger rooms also have repeater screens. Each conference room has access to dedicated syndicate and break-out rooms and refreshment areas close by. Stationery, flipcharts, photocopying facilities and whiteboards are included as standard.
All syndicate and meeting rooms at Henley are fitted with a large screen, networked PC, whiteboards and have free WiFi access and laptop connections. River House 1-14 are also fitted with Copycam, allowing users to capture whiteboard notes at the touch of a button. Digital recorders, video and stills cameras are also available on request. All are laid out boardroom style.
We have 100 rooms including some with disabled facilities. All rooms are en-suite & include a safe, trouser press, laptop connection with free Wi-Fi access, direct dial telephone, satellite TV with radio, Molton Brown toiletries, tea & coffee making facilities and a hair dryer. Photograph of Thames Court accommodation.
Full English breakfast is served in our main dining room, which overlooks the River Thames. Our dedicated staff maintain the facility 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All guest rooms receive daily housekeeping services.
When it comes to dining, we offer you choice, quality and flexibility. We understand that you also want facilities that are conducive to networking, and dining arrangements that integrate seamlessly with the other aspects of your day. Henley is renowned for both its excellent standards of service and the high quality of cuisine. The chefs and their professional staff are able to offer the sophistication of a memorable evening dinner in the spacious dining room, with its views over the lawns down to the Thames.
Fresh, varied breakfasts are prepared by award-winning chefs and served each morning in the beautiful, riverside restaurant - the Heyworth Room.
Several tea and coffee areas are situated throughout the buildings, the Garden Common Room is situated beside the Heyworth Room and is open throughout the day and evening offering a wide range of Fairtrade drinks and a selection of biscuits. The bar is open each evening serving a full range of drinks.
Henley Conference Centre and Hotel
Set in its own 30 acre estate in the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside, alongside the River Thames, this magnificent Grade II Listed Building offers excellent conference, meeting and event facilities and provides a spectacular setting for any gathering. For more information about booking our beautiful facilities please visit the Henley Conferences website.
History of Greenlands
Records indicate that there has been a house on our Greenlands site for 500 years, although the house would have originally been much closer to the river.
Greenlands has been home to a series of notable families and individuals throughout its lifetime. These include Thomas Chaucer, son of Geoffrey Chaucer; Robert D'Oyley, Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1573; Bulstrode Whitelock, Oliver Cromwell's Ambassador to Sweden and most recently WH Smith, who bought the existing house in 1871. Queen Elizabeth I is also known to have visited on more than one occasion, most likely when staying at her royal palace in Reading.
The site became the home of a new Administrative Staff College in 1946, first welcoming students in 1948. In 1952, after the unexpected death of Viscount Hambleden from whom the College leased the site, an opportunity to purchase Greenlands' 30 acres arose. The College was renamed Henley Management College in 1991, and following the 2008 merger with the University of Reading became Henley Business School. Today, the world-ranked Henley MBA, The Henley DBA and our executive education programmes are delivered at Greenlands.
Points of view
- The case for coaching - Dr Rebecca Jones, Programme Director
- Coaching and Meditation: The daily grind
- The psychology of positivity and strengths-based approaches at work
- What is mastery in coaching and how do I get it?
- Coaching Corner: What can neuroscience tell us about leadership coaching
- What can coaching learn from Pokemon Go?
Offers & Discounts
UK Registered Charity discount
Henley Business School is pleased to offer two places for employees of UK registered charities, discounted at 50%, on each intake of the MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change. Places are allocated through a competitive process.
To be eligible to apply, applicants will need to provide proof of:
· Paid employee status of a UK registered charity
· Confirmation that this role is their main employment
· UK registered charity number
· The charity will be invoiced directly
Henley MBA alumni are eligible for 10% discount off the programme fee.
Please note: Only one discount can apply
There are a number of funding options, such as bank loans, available from external sources.
Loans of up to £10,906 are available to eligible students studying for postgraduate Master's courses. In general, students need to be domiciled in England. EU students, and individuals falling within certain specified categories, may also be eligible.
You can apply for a loan through the UK Government website. You can read more about this scheme on the Student Loans Company website or on these two UK Government sites: Introduction of loans for postgraduate students and Government response to the Consultation on Support for Postgraduate Study.
The Henley Experience
Helping you become exceptional is at the heart of everything we do. The Henley Experience is highly practical, collaborative and academically rigorous. We develop confident leaders and professionals who are able to take a fresh perspective and have the energy, capability and resilience to ensure that they and their organisations are successful.
THE HENLEY EXPERIENCE:
- Rigour & relevance
The Henley Experience is much more than a set of principles. It is ingrained in our spirit and fundamental to our purpose and heritage, characterising the way we can help you to deliver exceptional performance.
We engage with you at the deepest level, fostering a shared spirit of curiosity, exploration, investigation and learning. We collaborate with you in order to challenge assumptions and mindsets, and get to the heart of the real business issues you face.
By creating a safe environment that promotes self-reflection, you are able to ask yourself those crucial questions that allow you to learn more about what informs your strategic business decisions and actions.
We work closely with you to diagnose your strategic individual and organisational aims. We then identify programmes that are best aligned to these goals, or we can co-evolve a learning design specifically aimed at achieving these strategic outcomes.
RIGOUR & RELEVANCE
We draw on world-class research and originate leading-edge thinking – but theory remains theory unless it is applied to real-world business. All of our programmes are delivered by experienced faculty who integrate academic rigour with commercial application. What you learn translates into business results.
Our customers rely on our long history and global reputation for successful executive development. These strengths underlie our responsible and collaborative way of working with you to co-create the very best executive learning experiences and commercial outcomes.
At Henley we know we cannot just be exceptional – we are here to help you become exceptional.